RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Classy Shak (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=2618)

Brian in PA 11-11-2011 06:39 AM

Re: Classy Shak

Well Mike it sounds like you have a plan, and the most important thing is your working again to bring money in to support your hobby:D:D

Brian

Snowman 11-11-2011 08:31 AM

Just you wait till you get the mfu and get that monster moving. I can't describe the joy and excitement that I experienced when my truck moved this week for the first time in a year and a half! :D

rockNmayhem 11-11-2011 08:51 AM

Mike great to see you back and starting to see updates on this beast. Sounds great with the plan and cant wait for more pics. :D

Tyler

6wheelking 11-11-2011 01:40 PM

Truck looks Awsome,I really like the long RV trucks great work hope mine comes out that nice:D

Dreamweaver 11-12-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in PA (Post 40094)
Well Mike it sounds like you have a plan, and the most important thing is your working again to bring money in to support your hobby:D:D

Brian

Thanks Brian, I'll get it going again but it's going to be slow, but at least it's slow cause of time and not cash this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 40104)
Just you wait till you get the mfu and get that monster moving. I can't describe the joy and excitement that I experienced when my truck moved this week for the first time in a year and a half! :D

I can't wait till it's running, but there is still a LOT to do before that happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockNmayhem (Post 40106)
Mike great to see you back and starting to see updates on this beast. Sounds great with the plan and cant wait for more pics. :D

Tyler

Thanks Tyler

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6wheelking (Post 40139)
hope mine comes out that nice:D

It will, just have to go slow and get it right don't settle for almost right. Ya see as everyone else here knows I am what you might call "Anal". To this point I have almost 400 hrs into this truck.

SWAGGER 11-12-2011 11:13 AM

You sir - are a genious This thing is ridonculous! Well done and keep up the great work. This has got to me the most detailed build ever.

Dreamweaver 11-13-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SANDCRAFT TRANSPORT (Post 40239)
I think I have said this before, the trouble with this sight is you see all these wonderful models being made, BUT it would be great to see these same models in person, & to talk to the builders about HOW DID YOU-----.
It would be so nice to be able to discuss techniques & see how they were made; photos just don’t do them justice.
I love what you are doing with your builds, keep thinking outside that box.
Tim

I have and always will tell and/or show anyone how I did something.. No secrets here.:D

Well except for my shocks.. those I'll keep secret.

Stylin n profilin 11-13-2011 09:15 AM

Just awesome Mike...I just went through this build again and forgot how crazy detailed this thing is..I can't wait to see this done...I still say a full sleeper interior would be sweet..I know it has to hold everything...but like a real house..shove it under the kitchen sink..:p:p:D:D

Dreamweaver 11-14-2011 01:44 AM

Ya never know John, have to wait and see when I get all the stuff that has to go in there.

Dreamweaver 11-19-2011 01:41 AM

Ok Guys and Gals I need some help.

As I have stated before I have no idea about the R/C part of these things.

Rick (Rogue) had mentioned to me that he used a 25:1 gearbox as the transmission for the Yellow Zonker that he sold to Paul. He was telling me that this would be a good gearbox to use for my truck giving me the slower more "Scale" speed that I want. I do not want to use the stock 3 speed because I don't want this thing going that fast..

Also keep in mind that I have no idea about the motors either, it's all greek to me.

I will be using the Tamiya MFU in the truck.

So here is my question to all of you.

What motor should I use?

and

Where can I get a gearbox at?

Please include links for me as well.

Thanks

Dreamweaver 11-20-2011 10:58 PM

No one has any suggestions for motors or gear boxes?

Brian in PA 11-20-2011 11:02 PM

Mike, you should consider the 3 speed just for the coolness of it. You have the room:D:D. I have a 55 turn motor in my dump I'm currently building and I added a 3:1 from Integy. Travis turned me on to this. It works really good and is like 20 bucks!

Brian

Dreamweaver 11-22-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in PA (Post 41031)
Mike, you should consider the 3 speed just for the coolness of it. You have the room:D:D. I have a 55 turn motor in my dump I'm currently building and I added a 3:1 from Integy. Travis turned me on to this. It works really good and is like 20 bucks!

Brian

Brian unless I cut a hole in the floor of the sleeper and put the motor and 3 spd there, I don't have the room. the floor on my cab is flat. and about 1/4" above the frame rails.

Espeefan 11-22-2011 01:37 AM

Mike, you'll want to look at the planetary or spur gear head motors for powering your truck.

Spur gear head motors tend to be more compact, and their length remains the same, as the reduction is changed by swapping gears. Basically the motor has a small gear, which drives a large gear, which drives a small gear, and this repeats till you get the reduction you need.

A planetary gear head grows in length, as the reduction gets greater. They simply add another stage of reduction, one behind the other till you get what you need. A sun gear, driven by the motor, drives the outer planet gears, which spins a carrier, that drives another reduction stage using the same method, and this repeats itself, till you reach the output shaft.

Spur gear heads have an offset output shaft. A planetary will have an inline output shaft. Does it matter? Probably not on a truck. Both work well. If space is tight, go with a spur gear head motor. They are almost always shorter!

It's up to you to decide what reduction you think you need. The better question is, how fast do you want your truck to go, at full throttle? What's the diameter of your tires? How many volts do you intend to run? You can calculate the reduction needed, based off this information.

Brian in PA 11-22-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweaver (Post 41124)
Brian unless I cut a hole in the floor of the sleeper and put the motor and 3 spd there, I don't have the room. the floor on my cab is flat. and about 1/4" above the frame rails.

Thats what I meant. You could easily hide the drive line in the sleeper. Your cab is detailed are you doing this to the sleeper also?

Brian

Dreamweaver 11-23-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in PA (Post 41137)
Thats what I meant. You could easily hide the drive line in the sleeper. Your cab is detailed are you doing this to the sleeper also?

Brian

Hadn't planned on it, but ya never know:eek:

The main thing I am asking is what motor. I have no idea what 540, 775 ect means.

Here is a link to the place where Rick said he got the motor and the gear box for the yellow zonker but they don't have the combo that he got any more.. But these are the gear boxes I was thinking about. Rick said he had a 25:1 in the zonker.. http://banebots.com/c/PLANETARY

Dreamweaver 11-26-2011 02:56 PM

I could use some help here guys... If you have a link to a site where I can find motors and gearboxes please post them.

SonoranWraith 11-26-2011 11:00 PM

540 cans are the stock size the Tamiya kits come with. Plain silver can motor cheap and you can get them everywhere. I like the tamiya three speed with gear reduction/low count pinion. I ran mine with stock can and pinion with 4:1 on 3S lipo and was still pretty quick. I limited throttle on my radio a bit in fwd and lot for reverse. :)

Dreamweaver 11-27-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonoranWraith (Post 41579)
540 cans are the stock size the Tamiya kits come with. Plain silver can motor cheap and you can get them everywhere. I like the tamiya three speed with gear reduction/low count pinion. I ran mine with stock can and pinion with 4:1 on 3S lipo and was still pretty quick. I limited throttle on my radio a bit in fwd and lot for reverse. :)

Thanks.. No room for the 3 spd. I built the truck planning on using a motor and gearbox that Rick (Roque) used but the link he sent me a long time ago don't work anymore.

I got it all figured out thanks to TC... I will be using a 540/55t with the RC4WD Disruptor. That should get me closer to the speeds I want.

Diesel Demond 11-27-2011 12:55 PM

wish i could see it in person! just awesome!!!!