RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Construction Equipment (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another Tigercat... (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=3945)

RCP57 02-22-2012 09:22 PM

Another Tigercat...

5 Attachment(s)
I've been somewhat reluctant to post this build because it has already been done by others(greatly I might add) and I kinda feel like I'm being a copy cat but I like the machine so here it goes... 1/10th again... Tigercat 630D...

Two brand new griders were destroyed for this build...RIP:D

RCP57 02-22-2012 09:24 PM

Re: Another Tigercat...

5 Attachment(s)
rims...

ihbuilder 02-22-2012 09:26 PM

thats 1 way to get 2 matching sets :D looks great so far I cant wait to get a tig :(

RCP57 02-22-2012 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Please ignor the rubber bands... I ordered a rotary table and chuck today to drill the bolt patterns in the axles and wheels/hubs.

Construction 02-22-2012 09:29 PM

Im liking the rims and tires.

How did you break your griders? :(

Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

RCP57 02-22-2012 09:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of the sheetmetal and boom. I'm having trouble with my eyes and I'm unable to weld so it's p!ss!n me off!

Thanks for lookin! Reg

RCLogger 02-22-2012 11:14 PM

Reg you are a building machine, looking forward to another great build... What tires are you using, I like them. What size are they.

greg

RCP57 02-22-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCLogger (Post 50218)
Reg you are a building machine, looking forward to another great build... What tires are you using, I like them. What size are they.

greg

HAHA Thanks Greg! I'm a little PO'd that I can't weld because I had hoped to finish this very quickly but time will tell. The tires are from some sort of Newbright monster truck and are about 7.75"x4"... perfect height but a little wide for my scale. I was looking for Juggernaught tires to build a skidder in 1/14 but a friend at the local hobby shop came up with these for $20. I like the look of them too, and they allow me to build in 1/10 to match my other stuff. I want to get this done because I want to pull off one more two part build after this before July.

Thanks for lookin!

Vanisle 02-23-2012 02:32 AM

Wow, you don't rest much. I think Tigertcat skidders look great. Looking forward to seeing them done ... in March.

fhhhstix 02-23-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Construction (Post 50207)
Im liking the rims and tires.

How did you break your griders? :(

Can't wait to see the finished product! :D

He tore the grinders apart to get the gear sets out of them.:D

Travis

RCP57 02-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhhstix (Post 50251)
He tore the grinders apart to get the gear sets out of them.:D

Travis

Sure did:D! Cheapest way I could see to get two heavy duty ring and pinion sets... I even smashed apart the motors and used the shafts(modified of course) and bearings. Later I'll cut them to length and connect them to the rest of the driveline. I'm headed out to the shop soon to bash some more tin.:D

Snochaser 02-23-2012 09:35 PM

I'm anxious to see your progress I'm sure you will do a fantastic job!!!

Ben

RCP57 02-23-2012 09:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snochaser (Post 50263)
I'm anxious to see your progress I'm sure you will do a fantastic job!!!

Ben

If I can get close to the quality of your Cat I will be very happy Ben.

I didn't really get much done tonight... lame. Too much time looking at pictures and not enough time turning the images into real life, or scale life:confused:.LOL

Snochaser 02-23-2012 10:20 PM

Well Thanks. I've seen your work and I'm sure you will do just as well if not better than my stab at it. The tires look much better than the ones I used for sure. When you say mills, does that mean pepper mill/ grinder?

Ben

RCP57 02-23-2012 10:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the grinders I used... Under $20 each at princess auto. They had some for less online but they were out of stock at the store nearby. As most of you have probably figured out I'm impatient and wanted them that day.

I haven't decided how to power it yet, all I know is that it will take a lot to spin 4tires this size!

modelman 02-24-2012 12:02 PM

Looks like you are well on your way to another great build. Nice work!!

Iron Art 02-24-2012 01:05 PM

Rcp57. Hot Dog!! A Tigercat skidder,They are great machine and it will be neat to see it powered up and moving a turn or two of logs. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the finished model. Fred

RCP57 02-24-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Art (Post 50325)
Rcp57. Hot Dog!! A Tigercat skidder,They are great machine and it will be neat to see it powered up and moving a turn or two of logs. Keep up the good work, looking forward to the finished model. Fred

Thanks Fred, I haven't been able to find as many specs on the D models as I would like but I think I can fudge the rest. Did you find much info when you built yours? I even emailed Tigercat but got no response... maybe that was a good thing? There is a 630B working behind my house right now and I went and took measurements of the cab, ect last weekend but the rest of the machine is entirely different so it wasn't much help. I can't find a picture or drawing that I can scale to get the correct width of the hood/radiator so I think I'll just make an educated guess.

thanks again for lookin guys!

steamer 02-24-2012 04:20 PM

Reg. looking real good. Just sent a couple of emails for the 630D. The 635D is a real monster, with the tandem axles. Are you setting up a logging show on the coast.
Rob

Iron Art 02-24-2012 04:24 PM

RCP 57, I used the Tigercat web site for most of the specs. I had the same results as you trying to deal with them directly but after the fact they were a cut above using the completed model in their company magazine. They are good people and most likly quite busy. Your best shot at getting it right is the 1to1 behind your house. You no doubt looked at the Tigercat website but I will enclose the link. Fred
http://www.tigercat.com/images/stori...-specPRINT.pdf

RCP57 02-24-2012 05:43 PM

Thanks guys, I've spent more time than I'd like to admit google searching pictures... some of them were even for the 630D;). I found a few pics, two brochures and a couple videos of the D models so I think I can make it reasonable but I would just like more. You can never have enough info!

I'm glad to hear that the people from Tigercat are OK with this stuff. I thought they would be better than Cat because they actually have a downloadable link for the correct Tigercat logo's and colors on their site. I think Cat has all of their stuff "protected" don't they? Don't you automaticly go to jail if you build a Cat model? Oh Sh!t... here come the cops...

Reg

modelman 02-25-2012 05:35 PM

RCP57-yes,CAT has their stuff protected. At first they flat refused to let me use the decals on my truck but I E-mailed them a second time and told them what I was doing and sent a couple of pictures of my truck. They said since I was not selling the model they could not legally give me permission to use the decals but I could put them on for my own use. Legal mumbo-jumbo:D

RCP57 02-25-2012 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by modelman (Post 50390)
RCP57-yes,CAT has their stuff protected. At first they flat refused to let me use the decals on my truck but I E-mailed them a second time and told them what I was doing and sent a couple of pictures of my truck. They said since I was not selling the model they could not legally give me permission to use the decals but I could put them on for my own use. Legal mumbo-jumbo:D

I remeber reading about that, I think its kind of silly because it's free advertisement for the manufacture.

I made some progress today on the sheet metal...

RCP57 02-25-2012 06:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
a few more...

RCP57 02-27-2012 03:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I tried making the hood wider than it should be to gain some space inside(last post) but it just didn't look right(it wasn't) so I narrowed it to the correct proportion. I did a little more machining for the axles too but I'm still waiting for my rotary table and chuck to come in so they just fall apart everytime I move them:mad:. It's slowly moving forward though I guess.

Vanisle 02-27-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCP57 (Post 50552)
I tried making the hood wider than it should be to gain some space inside(last post) but it just didn't look right(it wasn't) so I narrowed it to the correct proportion. I did a little more machining for the axles too but I'm still waiting for my rotary table and chuck to come in so they just fall apart everytime I move them:mad:. It's slowly moving forward though I guess.

Looks great. If you have to wait too long you could bring your parts here and use my mill with rotary table or DRO with Bolt Hole Circle function.

RCP57 02-27-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanisle (Post 50554)
Looks great. If you have to wait too long you could bring your parts here and use my mill with rotary table or DRO with Bolt Hole Circle function.

Thanks Richard, The stuff that I ordered should be here mid week but you never know I guess. If it doesn't show soon and we're both not working I may take you up on that. It would be good to visit anyway.

Reg

Snochaser 02-27-2012 08:44 PM

Reg, you are doing awesome. You guys and and your abilities to work aluminum with mills, lathes, breaks and welding.:( I wish I had a few of the tools to make it happen.

It's going to be a beauty!!!:D

Ben

RCP57 02-27-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snochaser (Post 50572)
Reg, you are doing awesome. You guys and and your abilities to work aluminum with mills, lathes, breaks and welding.:( I wish I had a few of the tools to make it happen.

It's going to be a beauty!!!:D

Ben

Hey Ben, What drives your Cat? I haven't really decided if I will use one gear motor on each diff or just one for both. I wanted to use a 2 speed drill drive but I'm not sure that will leave enough space for all the other stuff.

Thanks Reg

Snochaser 02-28-2012 08:36 AM

I use 4 gear motors. If you can figure out a way to use a central power train with axles or planetary hubs that would be much better. A few speeds may be good too. I have thought of changing motors to something a little quicker, it moves a little slow for me, but still has a ton of torque.

Ben

RCP57 02-28-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snochaser (Post 50608)
I use 4 gear motors. If you can figure out a way to use a central power train with axles or planetary hubs that would be much better. A few speeds may be good too. I have thought of changing motors to something a little quicker, it moves a little slow for me, but still has a ton of torque.

Ben

OK thanks, Do you know what rpm and torque the motors are? My axles are about 2.6:1 so I'm thinking That I would need a gear motor that turned around 100rpm but I'm not sure. My tires are so big that I'm concerned about having enough power. I have two drill drives to choose from but I know they will be too fast without a further reduction and that takes up even more space.

Reg

Vanisle 02-28-2012 12:08 PM

You could use the MFAComo Drills 940D 100:1 gear motor, max torque 416 oz-in and as inexpensive as $32.31 USD (for 10 or more) at Technobotsonline in the UK:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...arMotors-1.jpg

The downside is if you choose Fedex (1-2 day shipping) like I did, they assess all sorts of stuff so I ended up paying about $150 for shipping/customs/brokerage fee and taxes. Best to choose airmail so customs clearance is done by the post office and you will save a fair bit.

Snochaser 02-28-2012 01:05 PM

They are 12volt 20 rpm gear motors with 14.4 volts to them. I think 40 rpm motors would be good for my application. Your tires are a larger diameter so you'd get more speed but lose torque, correct. I can hold mine still and it keeps spinning, I'm afraid something else will break so I've never pushed them to stall. Mine weighs around 20 lbs.

Ben

RCP57 02-28-2012 05:24 PM

Thanks guys! I'm not sure what this will weigh when it is done but it's pretty big and the tires will have lots of bite so I want it to have lots of power! I also thought about using a power window motor as they seem to be between 80-120rpm depending on which one you get but they don't really fit well in this.

Richard, what are you doing with all those motors? ADT and Loader???? Soon I'm gonna make you promise to build something out of all this cool sh!t you keep buying.:p

Reg

chaseracer 02-28-2012 09:31 PM

another great build Reg !!!! blows my mind how fast you guys build. and how great they look .... wow

Vanisle 02-28-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCP57 (Post 50631)
Thanks guys! I'm not sure what this will weigh when it is done but it's pretty big and the tires will have lots of bite so I want it to have lots of power! I also thought about using a power window motor as they seem to be between 80-120rpm depending on which one you get but they don't really fit well in this.

Richard, what are you doing with all those motors? ADT and Loader???? Soon I'm gonna make you promise to build something out of all this cool sh!t you keep buying.:p

Reg

That's the plan (I bought 10 to get discount pricing toget 1 free but then really messed up on the shipping choice). Unfortunately for my construction projects, I think I just got a little sidetracked with some RC helis. So little time and so many fun things to work on.

RCP57 02-28-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseracer (Post 50681)
another great build Reg !!!! blows my mind how fast you guys build. and how great they look .... wow

Thanks! I like to keep busy!lol If I'm not busy then I'm bored and when I'm bored I get grumpy, or so I'm told!HA! When we get together this summer there should be a lot of equipment to run! I just hope we can get some hydro's figured out soon. The pumps we have built now make 15-20 bar which I think should be fine for this but not the Volvo so:(...

Reg

RCLogger 03-01-2012 11:33 PM

Looks great Reg
Your going to have to go into production, another good looking model

greg

Espeefan 03-02-2012 02:01 AM

Another great build in the works! I like how you found your ring and pinion, for the axles, out of a grinder. I almost feel stupid now, because I was looking for something just like that, and spent hours online trying to find some miniature ring and pinion gears. I did find some, but they were still on the large side for what I needed. It never dawned on me to even consider some cheap grinders. Great idea! The axles look really nice too. This will be a really great looking machine when it's done. Looking forward to it's completion.

RCP57 03-05-2012 08:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 50879)
Another great build in the works! I like how you found your ring and pinion, for the axles, out of a grinder. I almost feel stupid now, because I was looking for something just like that, and spent hours online trying to find some miniature ring and pinion gears. I did find some, but they were still on the large side for what I needed. It never dawned on me to even consider some cheap grinders. Great idea! The axles look really nice too. This will be a really great looking machine when it's done. Looking forward to it's completion.

My Dad put me on to the grinder idea after I 'd built the diff for my Euc using a Diawa fishing reel gear set. He saw what I was doing and told me he had just thrown out a grinder that would have had gears about that size:(. I saved a wornout grinder myself last year but it was more expensive to buy another one like it than to buy two new ones at the time. The week after I ripped apart the Kawi grinders the kind that I already had one of came on sale for $20... story of my life!

I haven't done much this week because I've been working and I'm still having grief with my eyes but I did pick up my rotory table and chuck. Now that I have the cart I'll be saving for the horse! I started drilling some holes last night...

Reg