RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mack R Model (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=8888)

Lmackattack 05-08-2014 07:43 PM

Mack R Model

Started on my 3rd Mack R model Build. This Mack will represent the late 80's early 90's work horse. I plan on using this to pull a Short 24' frameless end dump that is common here in Chicago. It will also go good with my flat bed or maybe even a 2 axel lowboy some day. A Pure Chicago construction kind of tractor.
It has a Tamiya 35 turn motor with a RC4WD Disruptor Planetary reduction unit. It sits on a stock Globeliner frame rails. upgraded Hi tec heavy duty servo, and room under the cab for a 7 cell battery. It will be a single stack Mack with Aluminum tanks, Battery boxes and bumper. Both axels are locked in and I will be upgrading it to metal driveshaft's. Im up in the air on what wheels I will be using but Im thinking some aluminum 10 holes up front and 3d printed spokes for the rear or just alum all the way around?. it will look good either way...The cab is 3D printed as a 1973 +3 cab and will have all the Lights powered with LEDs. Hope to have it ready for show for the local spring meet next month.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psx3iakzyp.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...pswfecxtra.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psq9rhmgx2.jpg

cabs 05-08-2014 07:46 PM

Re: Mack R Model

looks like a killer start to me

Exclusive RC 05-08-2014 11:27 PM

ill be looking forward to progress on this one!

Lmackattack 05-09-2014 06:00 AM

Thanks guys...

Chris, the cab and hood come as separate parts. However I bonded them together for ease of access to the battery and drivetrain parts. The cab/hood hinges at the front and simply raises up out of the way.

the Dutch guy 05-09-2014 02:00 PM

Very nice start. Love the old Macks

cabrover 05-10-2014 07:05 AM

Looks awesome!!:cool: Gotta love the old Macks!!:D Keep up the good work, and
I will be watching this build!!!:bounce:

Tim

Lmackattack 05-12-2014 07:59 PM

a little more done. I made an "R model" exhaust bracket and test fitted some stock fuel tanks. I do plan to make some aluminum tanks that have the step indent like most R models have. I put some 1/4 fenders on and installed a RC4WD steel driveshaft.

Thanks for looking

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psow43sghi.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps3q5bpvez.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f2...psyknp3axq.jpg

MACK Daddy 05-12-2014 08:20 PM

Liking that stubby look

Alfy

Claus 05-12-2014 08:40 PM

Cool, you say it's going to be a "Chicago" truck, needs either an Axle or Hilbilt dump trailer, probably the two most common in the area of that time. Spokes on the rear would be a nice touch also. Keep it coming.

Lmackattack 05-12-2014 09:52 PM

Yea a frameless end dump is in the works....hilbilt and axle were very popular in the 80's-90's! .I'm waiting for my guy that designed the front spokes for my 6 wheeler to make some spoke rears. Thinking budd fronts and spoke rears...another common spec around here back then...

Claus 05-12-2014 10:07 PM

My Dad bought a '79 new and an '85 used. The '85 was bought wrecked, fixed and sold the '79 He drove for 20+ years. They were very solid trucks. The '85 had the buds of front, spokes on rear, 350, 9 speed, aluminum fuel tanks. It had a bunk on it, that was taken off in the rebuild that truck was a little longer, it was a very sharp R model when it was fixed. That one had the air ride on the cab too The '79 was a 300, 5 speed, Camelback barebones truck but tuff as nails.

Love the old R models.

flatdeck 05-12-2014 11:13 PM

They were solid but would shake your bones lose... 300 was and still is a tuff old engine.... I had the misfortune to drive on for a couple of years.... only with a six speed...

Wayne

Claus 05-12-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatdeck (Post 110544)
They were solid but would shake your bones lose... 300 was and still is a tuff old engine.... I had the misfortune to drive on for a couple of years.... only with a six speed...

Wayne

If you think those rode rough you wouldn't have liked his '69 Hendricksons at all, man that was a long time ago those trucks were around.

flatdeck 05-12-2014 11:23 PM

And LOUD.... How about a 62 IH V200 5 and 4 with a 220 Com's that's old and I am tell you I did not care (at the time) I was driving a truck... not even a air ride seat... LOL

Wayne

Sorry LMack for getting off the subject....

sneaky-pete 05-13-2014 09:35 AM

I'm a big fan of your trucks!
Seeing all of these printed cabs is awesome.
Keep those pic's coming.

Lmackattack 05-13-2014 04:19 PM

Thanks guys....i Will keep pics comong as i progress ..

Love to talk trucks no hi jacking here.....My work truck is a "gold dog" Mack RD- 300 / 2 stick 6 speed (5 speed) on camelback. It rides ok wheel loaded but does kick you when empty. For me I love that trans for where I drive all day. I barely have to shift and I can lug her down and she comes right back. I do lowboy work and the little R model can get in and out of those tight spots with ease. The E7 300 was rebuilt by mack and turned up. Its a great running city truck.....We have a few other trucks at work with 8LL and 18 speeds and the 5 speed is so much nicer in chicago traffic. But that's just my opinion...the worse riding truck I have been in was a Mack on walking beam. I think the tires spend more time in the air than on the pavement!

Akhogrider 05-13-2014 07:11 PM

I love your Mack's. I was around old R models and Hendricksons when I growing up, my dad worked for a company in Naperville Ill. I'm was inspired by your Mack's so I'm slowly trying to build a R 700l custom with a sleeper and stretched frame. Slowly getting $ to order cab and hood. Again very. Nice Mack's

spudd 05-13-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lmackattack (Post 110614)
Thanks guys....i Will keep pics comong as i progress ..

Love to talk trucks no hi jacking here.....My work truck is a "gold dog" Mack RD- 300 / 2 stick 6 speed (5 speed) on camelback. It rides ok wheel loaded but does kick you when empty. For me I love that trans for where I drive all day. I barely have to shift and I can lug her down and she comes right back. I do lowboy work and the little R model can get in and out of those tight spots with ease. The E7 300 was rebuilt by mack and turned up. Its a great running city truck.....We have a few other trucks at work with 8LL and 18 speeds and the 5 speed is so much nicer in chicago traffic. But that's just my opinion...the worse riding truck I have been in was a Mack on walking beam. I think the tires spend more time in the air than on the pavement!

is your RD a steel fender or tilt hood......I did a restore on a steel fender RD a few years back for a guy....it was kinda funny cuz when I asked him why the truck meant so much to him he told me he lost his virginity in that truck and didn't even have a partner in there with him LOL
I grew up MACK as my dad owned a
Mack dealership so I love the bulldogs great lookin truck so far

Lmackattack 05-13-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhogrider (Post 110634)
I love your Mack's. I was around old R models and Hendricksons when I growing up, my dad worked for a company in Naperville Ill. I'm was inspired by your Mack's so I'm slowly trying to build a R 700l custom with a sleeper and stretched frame. Slowly getting $ to order cab and hood. Again very. Nice Mack's

Thank you....I love the RL/RS700L Mack's. They are the top dog of the R models. Post some pics when you start the build.

Lmackattack 05-13-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudd (Post 110635)
is your RD a steel fender or tilt hood......I did a restore on a steel fender RD a few years back for a guy....it was kinda funny cuz when I asked him why the truck meant so much to him he told me he lost his virginity in that truck and didn't even have a partner in there with him LOL
I grew up MACK as my dad owned a
Mack dealership so I love the bulldogs great lookin truck so far

It's a later model 2002 RD glider kit. ( sloped fiberglass hood) I like the flat top hood best but im just glad to drive a mechanical R model mack.....don't see a lot of steel fender Mack's..... the salt used around here would just eat up a steel fender truck. We're the parts hard to source for the restore? Not many steel hood Mack's left running around.

That's cool that your dad owned a Mack dealer. I bet you saw plenty of nice mack trucks growing up. I wish Mack had a better following in today's world. Considering they have so many "firsts" in trucking history.