RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Get it out of your system! HERE! (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Stupid mfu that keeps shutting down (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1567)

heavy_duty 03-01-2011 09:01 PM

Stupid mfu that keeps shutting down

I have had it with mfu's.This stupid unit keeps shutting down for no apparent reason.The battery is fully charged,I keep a volt meter handy.I only have the 4 servo leads plugged into the receiver.None of the servos are binding.I am ready to burn this sucker.I need a minute :eek:.

Thats all folks Ed

aseejr 03-01-2011 09:19 PM

Re: Stupid mfu that keeps shutting down

What kind of radio are you using with it?

heavy_duty 03-01-2011 09:31 PM

I am using a futaba 9c 2.4 ghz.This is the same set up I ran with last year at Indy.No problem.I tried resetting the set up on the mfu,u know press white button and left stick up/down,left /rite. and so forth.This is bull crap.

Ed

rc_farmer 03-01-2011 10:22 PM

Ed, does it just run along, quit and restart itself while you are driving?

heavy_duty 03-02-2011 08:12 AM

hello Rob,
Yes.It will run for about 30 seconds and all of a sudden shut down,then restart and run for another minute,shut down.

Ed

tc1cat 03-02-2011 08:59 AM

Are you running LiPos in the truck? My Futaba 4 channel 2.4 does the same thing. If I keep the throtle stick just forward of nuetral the truck will run fine until I forget and go to complete dead center on the stick and then it starts acting up again. It is the radio and not the MFU. Ask Travis about this. He told me it has to do something with the fail safe setup in the radio.

Lynn

FreddyGearDrive 03-02-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc1cat (Post 20808)
Are you running LiPos in the truck? My Futaba 4 channel 2.4 does the same thing. If I keep the throtle stick just forward of nuetral the truck will run fine until I forget and go to complete dead center on the stick and then it starts acting up again. It is the radio and not the MFU. Ask Travis about this. He told me it has to do something with the fail safe setup in the radio.

Lynn

That happened to me.It was the radio, I think they should put a few more functions on these radios! It's beyond me why no one is buildin a radio JUST for us?? It took me days to git my atlas truck to work proper like w/a futaba 9 channel. Was ready to burn both of them.
Get away from it for awhile & let your head clear,then giver another shot!
Good luck!:D
FGD
Oh! Also had a bad servo one time that gave me a real run for it!
Might want to unplug one servo at a time,& try it.If all else fails.

heavy_duty 03-02-2011 07:41 PM

Lynn.I am running regular batteries,non lipo,s.I will try that trick with the dead center issue.
FGD, thanks for the advice.I did try that trick with removing one servo led one at a time.
Funny thing is,once this sucker runs,I drive it around the basement,in large circles,and I wait for it to sputter and then it dies,restarts,dies.I then pick it up.check battery voltage and I even tried to put a spektrum capacitor in the battery slot.No luck.I will stay at it and keep you all posted on what I find.THANKS EVERYONE for your support.This is a great board.Proud to be a member.

Ed

Stepside 03-03-2011 05:12 PM

Ed,

Jimmy had this w/ his black 379 and sent the MFU back to tamiya... they gave it a good report and sent it back... Jimmy put a different radio on it and it was a night and day difference.

Do you have another radio system to trouble shoot with?

Tamiya Cowboy 03-03-2011 09:12 PM

Rod has a good idea there ED I also think after all the talking we did that the one other thing you have not checked with trying a different pack. If you have one bad cell it can test at the right voltage but when you put a load on it IE starting the MFU the amps drop and trips the MFU..

cummingsman29 03-03-2011 09:44 PM

Hey Ed, did you check the injection pump? Lol, I had the same problem with my mfu it was the radio I changed to airtronics and all good now! Keep us posted!

rc_farmer 03-03-2011 10:12 PM

One other thing, did you have a hard time binding your radio to your mfu? are all your switches in the normal?

I bought a new MFU a couple wks ago, darnest time trying to program it at first........too about 8 times, then, flipped my dual rate switch to off, programmed right up.

i also concur with the suggestions of checking the batteries. A ni-cad can die w/o any warning.......found that out this wknd too. My MFU would cut off every minute. took the old ni-cad out, then I ran a 5000mah 7.4 for about 6 hrs w/o any problems.

I know how aggravating it is.

mrclean08 11-25-2011 12:45 PM

Heavy Duty, were you able to solve this problem? I am having the same problem where my MFU shuts off every 2-3 seconds then will restart. Repeat process. I tried doing the initial adjustment by pressing the white button then moving the sticks after the red light blinks, but nothing seems to improve.

I'm wondering if I got a faulty unit or if I just don't know how to use my 4-channel radio (Futaba 4YF 2.4GHz).

heavy_duty 11-25-2011 09:03 PM

Hello,I would suggest you switch radio's first.I went round and round and the problem was the radio.Good luck.

Ed

mrclean08 11-25-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavy_duty (Post 41481)
Hello,I would suggest you switch radio's first.I went round and round and the problem was the radio.Good luck.

Ed

Right you are!! I found out that 2.4GHz radio I was using wasn't "talking" with the MFU.

I just came back from my LHS and picked up a different radio (FM channel) and it all works fine now! :) Thanks!

Espeefan 11-25-2011 11:24 PM

Seems a shame to have to go backwards and buy an old school FM radio, when you have a 2.4 giga-hertz radio. I think based on what I have read here, I find myself leaning more torwards Serovnaut. Can't really blame Tamiya. Back when the MFU came out, it was the age of FM.

Tamiya Cowboy 11-25-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 41498)
Seems a shame to have to go backwards and buy an old school FM radio, when you have a 2.4 giga-hertz radio. I think based on what I have read here, I find myself leaning more torwards Serovnaut. Can't really blame Tamiya. Back when the MFU came out, it was the age of FM.

You can run them on 2.4 with no issues I myself have 1 RDS8000 and 3 vg6000's and the 8000 is 2.4 and works just fine and the dx6 works just fine the issue seams to be the futaba 2.4 not sure why but many have had issues with it and the MFU.. Now the RDS8000 comes in a ground 2.4 for semis and crawlers..

tc1cat 11-26-2011 07:44 AM

TC is right. Futaba 2.4's are the problem. My Budwieser trucks does the same thing. I need to switch radios in it.

doodlebug 11-26-2011 12:42 PM

Anyway to turn the failsafe mode off???????

Tamiya Cowboy 11-26-2011 09:41 PM

Yep you bet just lay it on a hard surface such as concert then run it over with your car or truck or you can also use a large hammer..:D All joking aside no I dont think so that is built in for choppers and plains..:mad: