RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Construction Equipment (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Here Kitty Kitty... (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=2340)

RCP57 06-24-2011 03:27 PM

Here Kitty Kitty...

4 Attachment(s)
I started a new project last night. For you island guys, I was wondering where the best place to order the track drive chain and sprockets would be. I spoke to Western Equipment this morning but they have yet to return my call with any pricing or time frame.

RCP57 06-24-2011 08:32 PM

Re: Here Kitty Kitty...

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics. I found out the price of the #35-K1 chain... OUCH! Anyone on the island have 6 feet of it kicking around that they want to sell? It's a good thing that I'm building this in 1/10 scale because the tracks will cost about 1/10 of a real set!HAHA

RCP57 07-03-2011 12:41 AM

Thanks to Greg's tip I was able to locate some track pad material at Rona and cut it into 84 tiny pads. I still haven't ordered any chain but I guess I will have to soon. Here is a short video of my progress on the bucket so far.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ppb3...yer_detailpage

doodlebug 07-03-2011 01:26 AM

Wow, that's a new aproach to building a 4n1 bucket! Thank's for sharing!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

RCP57 07-03-2011 09:30 AM

It's powered by two hytek 645 servos. It doesn't have a huge amount of power but I think it will do. Now the hard part is trying to make it look like its hydraulic.

JensR 07-03-2011 07:09 PM

Aaaaaand finally I know where we are going =)
Great!

RCP57 07-06-2011 10:39 PM

I've had a little time lately to do a bit more work to my 955. I cut out the main boom pieces and made some fake rams for the bucket. For those who are interested I've posted another short video on my YouTube channel. I'll post some pics soon.
I

RCP57 07-07-2011 10:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some updated pics. I bought a servo reversing Y adapter made by Expert Electronics and its already stopped working. Do any of you have experience with these or other servo reversing devices? I need two for my project and I don't know if this was a lemon or if I should try to buy something else.

Thanks

mog 07-09-2011 12:47 PM

not shere but if you get digital servo you should be able to reprogram. plus i think you can slow them down so to look more scale speed but still get the full travel. looks good to me what you youtube?

RCP57 07-09-2011 03:55 PM

Yesterday I figured out that you can program the radio (DX8)to run two servos off of two channels with one as the master and one as the slave so that is what I'm doing now. I have the bucket fully functional and have started working on the frame. I'll try to post some more pics soon. Thanks for the reply and for checking it out.

TheMachinist 07-09-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCP57 (Post 31200)
Some updated pics. I bought a servo reversing Y adapter made by Expert Electronics and its already stopped working. Do any of you have experience with these or other servo reversing devices? I need two for my project and I don't know if this was a lemon or if I should try to buy something else.

Thanks

I use a Hitec servo programmer hooked to my computer to reverse digital servos. Also to slow the transit speed down in the servo so I don't have to mess with the radio settings.

RCP57 07-11-2011 06:23 PM

I managed to sort everything out by using the mixing in the DX8. I slowed down the servos as well. The next thing to do for it is some sort of screw drives for the main lifting rams. Servos fit nicely in the space that's available but I'm not completely sold on using them yet. This thing is pretty heavy and I'm concerned that they will not be powerful enough if I use the drill bit method or too slow if I use threaded shafts.

Car5858 07-11-2011 06:32 PM

You may want to check out these

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1846

doodlebug 07-11-2011 08:43 PM

The kyosho hanomag loader used small all-thread for the hoist and dump. I think it was about 1/8" diameter. I have the manual, but no loader.
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug

RCP57 07-11-2011 10:32 PM

I bought some 3/16 ready rod the other day so the plan is to build screw drive type rams for sure I just haven't decided how to drive them yet. I want this thing to have a lot of lifting power so we'll see what works best after some trial and mostly error. I have an idea to try before servos but....

Thanks for the input!

doodlebug 07-12-2011 01:25 AM

Pm me if you need a copy of the kyosho manual. It may give you some idea's?
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

RCP57 08-06-2011 01:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally have some time to play again so I'm gonna put my head down and get this thing finished. I cheaped out on the K1 chain and decided to TIG some #4 40 nuts to the standard #35 chain. It seems to work fine and saved me more than $250 so I think it was worth the extra hour and a half it took me to weld on the nuts(it would have been nice to just use the K1 though). I managed to find weld on spockets at Princess Auto for $4.99 each so that was a savings as well, too bad the ferry ride from the island costs so much! I have a ton of work left to do on the 955 not to mention the fact that my Euclid isn't really finished yet. Anyway here are a few new pics.

Thanks for checkin it out

Reg

Lil Giants 08-07-2011 01:21 AM

That's some great progress Reg, its really take shape now! :cool:

Have you weighed it yet?

mog 08-07-2011 10:35 AM

looking good did you tig the nuts on i figger that would be nuts to try and weld them all on?

RCP57 08-07-2011 11:08 AM

Yes the nuts are all TIG welded to the links. I made a small jig so that I could do both nuts on a link at the same time. It took me about an hour and a half to do it... 156 nuts later I was done!:D

Yesterday I focused on the track frames and got them close to being finished. I'm waiting on some motors and a speed control so today I will try to build the main lifting rams.

Oh, I haven't weighed it yet but I'm guessing it will be at least 30lbs when finished. The boom arms are 3/8 flat bar and the bucket has 4 servos to operate it so those parts alone are quite heavy.

Thanks