RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Metal forming & tools (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cnc ? (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1069)

Operator 02-18-2011 11:21 PM

Re: cnc ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhhstix (Post 19712)
I was at my local machine shop yesterday and watched him work for a little while and he has the butterfly wrench set up on his mills and it is a real slick way of changing tooling.

Travis

Slicker than snot, for cheap

http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm

doodlebug 02-19-2011 12:04 AM

Thank's Matt, the picture explained everything! Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug
P.S. Which crusher's do I need to look at next month ( conexpo/conag/ifpe show)?
I will be taking picture's!

ihbuilder 02-19-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Operator (Post 19708)
R-8 tooling is all you need, and is everywhere cheap. Make a power drawbar for about $50 out of a small air cyl, and a HF butterfly air wrench. This is about as quick as it gets to changing tooling. Unless your running a production shop with employee's, save your dough for extra endmills, you will need them though your cnc programming learning.

already have the quick change w/draw bar and R8 wont fit this baby , It takes NST#40 . what I got yesterday for $125.00 is worth up to $1000.00 now I just need more cutters and a 3 phase converter .

Steve

doodlebug 02-20-2011 12:30 AM

Hey Steve, do you want to buy or build the 3 phase converter, Let me know, I can steer you toward's DIY if you are interested.
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

ihbuilder 02-20-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodlebug (Post 19788)
Hey Steve, do you want to buy or build the 3 phase converter, Let me know, I can steer you toward's DIY if you are interested.

Neil , I may be going that route since the quote I got on a VFD/inverter :eek: . I had a 20 hp RPC and sold it a month before I got the mill ( kicking my own azz :mad:) the prob with that 1 it took all the amps I had supplied to the barn every time I fired it up . I saw a place in NY that sells panels already wired up you just get the motor . Now , I've been reading that your ph converter should have more hp then your load I'm thinking of going 10 hp for 5hp .

Steve

pugs 02-20-2011 11:43 AM

Double is the recommended for CNC stuff, also make sure the legs are balanced under load

doodlebug 02-20-2011 06:32 PM

Steve you are correct, Now the thing that I don't know how to do is? Add capasitor's to the rotary convertor, and make it more efficient. The home brew rotary convertor's are like briggs & strattons, pull the rope, then throw the power switch. Hope this help's a little bit. Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

ihbuilder 02-20-2011 06:47 PM

Aw heck I'll just go find as big a 3 phase motor I can find And put it behind a 400 bc3 cummins :p my wife just said to me today " will you just make parts and not tools also ! , we'll get the converter ! " :eek: :p my impatience are a killer :( . I'm starting to understand the programing :eek: I read my manual once and it didn't stick now second time around :)I'm working on programing back side of hub , hex and bolt pattern . taping I'll do by hand for now .

IHSteve

ihbuilder 02-20-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugs (Post 19822)
Double is the recommended for CNC stuff, also make sure the legs are balanced under load

Jeff I was told that to , also that you should separate the control power from the motor ? Which I did and the control works well . I may have to up grade the Z card in the future also want to put a 4th axis on it some time . I just got to find the parts .

Steve

doodlebug 02-20-2011 07:00 PM

Steve I have 3 phase in my shipping container/shop, But I'm not a 3 phase expert! I still call the sparky when I have questions!

pugs 02-20-2011 07:56 PM

Steve, won't be long you'll be doing parametric programming with subprograms and variables and custom macros ;)

Good luck

ihbuilder 02-20-2011 09:50 PM

Arrhhh I want to cut my dozer pads I can't wait much more :p

Neil I'm lucky to have a bunch of sparky friends from the construction industry + my parents neighbor is an PE in EE ,ME and some others they have a plant design co. where they set up assembly lines although they have no experience with phase converters but thats not taking me long to get straightened out .

IHSteve

doodlebug 02-21-2011 12:40 AM

Hey Steve, sound's like thing's are under control!