RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My new Lowboy (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1079)

Espeefan 01-17-2011 12:54 PM

Re: My new Lowboy

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhhstix (Post 16359)

Very nice! Even the sag looks realistic! When you go over bumps, maybe the deck will bounce a little, just like the heavily loaded 1:1s! :D

Tamiya Cowboy 01-17-2011 02:32 PM

Very cool Travy were do I put my order in for one.. Not joking..

SmallHaul 01-17-2011 02:39 PM

Great looking trailers Travis. Nice design.

fhhhstix 01-17-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkycuda (Post 16403)
Followup on wheels - did you make them from PVC pipe fitting or turn from something else? Very good looking! I'd say your "experiment" with lathe and rotary table was a resounding success. Now, just find a CNC machine and run those babies out in mass!!

Ken

Thanks Ken they are delrin they started as a 3 ft x 2in rod and I wish I had 100 more of the rims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy (Post 16414)
Very cool Travy were do I put my order in for one.. Not joking..

Thanks Paul we will have to see how it turns out with the neck on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmallHaul (Post 16416)
Great looking trailers Travis. Nice design.

Thanks Scott I just wanted to try some thing different and the plastic is easy to work with.

Thanks everybody for looking.

Travis

JAMMER 01-17-2011 07:05 PM

Travis good looking lowboy and I like the quad axle. How wide is it and are those plastic wheels or aluminum they look good to?:):)

fhhhstix 01-17-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMMER (Post 16439)
Travis good looking lowboy and I like the quad axle. How wide is it and are those plastic wheels or aluminum they look good to?:):)

Thanks Jammer it is 7 7/8 in wide and it will have another 3/4 to an inch on each side when the outriggers are folded out. The rims are one piece delrin with bearings in the rims.

Travis

JAMMER 01-17-2011 08:03 PM

That won't be wide enough for my machine it 12 niches wide at the outside of the cats. I guess after I get every thing else built I will have to build a beam trailer to haul it. You have done a nice job so far and the wheels look real good. Ed

td9clyde 01-17-2011 09:20 PM

would that be a hundred more duals or 50 in pairs or 100 tires or 200 i got lost somewhere ??????...............oh the head hurts already just thinkin about that many more lmao i think Izzy would have to stay a couple weeks to help on that one i wouldn't be able to walk outta my shop all the delron strips i wouldn't be seen i would be all covered up lol

fhhhstix 01-17-2011 09:42 PM

That would be 100 rims to fit 200 tires and hay I can wish can't I?

Travis

td9clyde 01-17-2011 10:00 PM

lol you might get that many over a looooooooooooooong time frame lol yea wishin is all good too it wouldn't be so hard if i had more tooling

ihbuilder 01-18-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td9clyde (Post 16457)
would that be a hundred more duals or 50 in pairs or 100 tires or 200 i got lost somewhere ??????...............oh the head hurts already just thinkin about that many more lmao i think Izzy would have to stay a couple weeks to help on that one i wouldn't be able to walk outta my shop all the delron strips i wouldn't be seen i would be all covered up lol

henry after a 100 , I got to clean out my lathe :eek: just on the dish side . 200 wheels will fill a 55gal drum with chips/shavings packed

tc1cat 01-18-2011 08:43 AM

Trailers look great! The wheels really set them apart. Isn't delrin fun to work with???

Lynn

td9clyde 01-18-2011 09:00 AM

lol man i had a big pile of delron strips this stuff shaves insted of chips and grindings lol

tc1cat 01-18-2011 11:40 AM

That's one of the wonders of delrin. No matter how much you want to turn off of a part, you always get a ribbon/string. Just one word of warning- DO NOT TRY AND PULL THE RIBBONS/STRINGS OFF OF A PART WHILE IT IS TURNING!!!! Have seen one guy lose part of a finger trying to do this. Not a pretty sight! :eek::eek:

Lynn

td9clyde 01-18-2011 05:16 PM

ooooooooooooooops lol Travis and Izzy and myself was doin this alot when they was hangin out

Heavy Metal 01-18-2011 07:36 PM

Real nice work on the wheels guys. Trailer looking good Travis. Looking forward to the finish product.

Izzy 01-18-2011 09:50 PM

get enough orders and we could find a local screw machine company to run a batch. but man that's a lot of lug nut holes!!!

BullDog 01-19-2011 07:30 AM

Travis,this a great build and using delrin plastic nice.I would love to have a trailer where do we place the order...:D

Kid@heart 01-19-2011 11:44 AM

Nice job with the delrin rims, how has the fibre reinforced plastic worked so far? Easy to tool? How about joining pieces?

fhhhstix 01-19-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid@heart (Post 16626)
Nice job with the delrin rims, how has the fibre reinforced plastic worked so far? Easy to tool? How about joining pieces?

Thanks I got more delrin today for the center caps. The trailer is made of c board not FRP and it works well it machines easier than delrin. Every thing has to be joined using mechanical fasteners glue is useless.

Travis