RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Truck Building Tech (http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Frame Stretching (http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=295)

Claus 08-25-2010 06:21 PM

Frame Stretching
 
I have seen a few guys hve stretched their frames or made a longer frame out of two sets instead of buying the aluminum channels. For one thing all of the holes will be in the right place when going this route and another thing is the fuel tank brackets and battery box brackets will not need modifying. Is this a good way to go?

If you look closely under the sleeper of this truck you will notice some "stretch marks".
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...erbilt/503.jpghttp://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...erbilt/504.jpg

Claus 08-25-2010 06:23 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
BTW way I'm only wanting about a 2" stretch. Not crazy about the extra long DR. Suess look.

cummingsman29 08-25-2010 07:58 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
I like the way your truck looks as is!! were did you get your tires from?

Claus 08-25-2010 08:00 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
NO!!!!, not my truck, I wish!!!!!! That is that guy from Japan, i think He could make peterbilts out of dog turds.

That is about the stretch i want though.

http://www93.sakura.ne.jp/~time-tunnel/truck.html

Brian in PA 08-25-2010 10:30 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
There are a couple of guys on this board that sell the stock for frame rails .I have used the material from 2 of them and it is real good stuff!

Brian

SonoranWraith 08-26-2010 03:08 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
I think if hidden in an inconspicuous place and painted, it works. :cool: Random thought: It is interesting that Time Tunnel uses the stretch and another Japanese site I really like, Dream Express, does it as well.

Claus 08-26-2010 03:15 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in PA (Post 3070)
There are a couple of guys on this board that sell the stock for frame rails .I have used the material from 2 of them and it is real good stuff!

Brian

I have bought from two of the guys as well, I don't mean to offend anybody but I was not happy with holes not lining up 100% and having to file down the battery box and fuel tank brackets. I guess nothing is perfect.

Stepside 08-26-2010 10:21 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
check w/ Ric at PMD:

you can get the extensions and use them:

http://www.gardentrucking.com/produc...esort=1&max=10

http://www.gardentrucking.com/produc...nals/T1211.jpg


Let me also say, you can get the rails welded together. I have 2 of my trucks welded together and got a local guy to do it for $10 per frame...

Tamiya Cowboy 08-26-2010 11:37 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Freddy Gear Drive makes and sells rails they are a perfect fit in every way ask him and he can set you up.

Claus 08-27-2010 07:58 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Are the 48" rails that Garden Trucing sells the same contour as the Tamiya rails?

fhhhstix 08-27-2010 08:17 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Claus they are exactly like Frddys. I have used Freddys and I can tell you that they are perfect. I have aso used two other guys frame rails and they are nice but there is some work to be done to get parts to fit as they are a tad taller but that does have some advatages.

Claus 09-18-2010 10:48 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Well I tried my own frame stretch tonight, I think it's going to work fine. I found the the bolt pattern for the cross-members and the leaf spring mounting plates is the same, so i ground or filed down two of the plates to fit inside the frame rails. I wanted a 3" stretch came out a little bit longer but not much. The splice will be hidden behind the fuel tanks so i think this will work out well. My frame rails are now factory contour with factory holes, yeah!!!
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...-Claus/010.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...-Claus/009.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...-Claus/008.jpg

Tamiya Cowboy 09-18-2010 11:02 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Nice little trick but you now have no side strength in your rails you would be better to have a piece made that would be 2 inches long and you have 3 to 4 bolts on both sides of the cut this will give you strength. Take your rails and flex it I am sure it bends very very easy. I thought Freddy was making you rails..

Claus 09-18-2010 11:06 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy (Post 6481)
Nice little trick but you now have no side strength in your rails you would be better to have a piece made that would be 2 inches long and you have 3 to 4 bolts on both sides of the cut this will give you strength. Take your rails and flex it I am sure it bends very very easy. I thought Freddy was making you rails..

I hope Freddy is making me rails, he said he was busy. I had extra parts and time on my hands so I thought I would give this a try tonight. One piece is always better than two. BTW the cross-members keep most of the flex out of it.

Tamiya Cowboy 09-18-2010 11:14 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Yeah I am sure they do but not enuff of it out.. Take it to a welding shop and have it tiged together..

ihbuilder 09-19-2010 12:02 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
:eek: Well I sure hope you do not get pulled in for a safety check by DOT :p that will never last long scaled truck or real truck . take a 2" piece of that leftover rail cut the flanges off and bolt it inside with an 1" on either side of the splice And like TC said 4 bolts on each side .

IHSteve

Tamiya Cowboy 09-19-2010 12:08 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbuilder (Post 6485)
:eek: Well I sure hope you do not get pulled in for a safety check by DOT :p that will never last long scaled truck or real truck . take a 2" piece of that leftover rail cut the flanges off and bolt it inside with an 1" on either side of the splice And like TC said 4 bolts on each side .

IHSteve


Right on chaka khan :D or talk real nice to steve and maybe he will mill you a nice fitting splice for the back side of the rails.;)

9W Monighan 09-19-2010 10:15 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbuilder (Post 6485)
:eek: Well I sure hope you do not get pulled in for a safety check by DOT :p that will never last long scaled truck or real truck . take a 2" piece of that leftover rail cut the flanges off and bolt it inside with an 1" on either side of the splice And like TC said 4 bolts on each side .

IHSteve

My words are exactly as Steve's As soon as you load the frame maybe even under it's own weight the frame's gonna sag. 30 years ago I used to help a guy stretch short wheel base tractors into triaxel coal buckets. We added the splice then doubled the frame rails and bolted the whole works. I never liked the idea but you just had to know the guy:rolleyes:

ihbuilder 09-19-2010 10:58 AM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9W Monighan (Post 6503)
My words are exactly as Steve's As soon as you load the frame maybe even under it's own weight the frame's gonna sag. 30 years ago I used to help a guy stretch short wheel base tractors into triaxel coal buckets. We added the splice then doubled the frame rails and bolted the whole works. I never liked the idea but you just had to know the guy:rolleyes:

Exactly , I have seen the result of a poor frame stretch and it's not pretty :eek:

Claus 09-19-2010 01:06 PM

Re: Frame Stretching
 
Well, I heard back from Freddy, he is making me some rails. You guys can stop worrying about my sagging frame. I really do not think it would have ever been a problem on an RC truck, maybe for a guy like Lil Giants that really works a truck but for the average guy I don't see it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.