RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Welcome New Members (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Newbie to the RC Truck World (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=13179)

powerhouse 03-22-2018 11:29 AM

Newbie to the RC Truck World

Hello All,

Just wanted to take a second to introduce myself and explain my reasoning for joining. I am the Director of Engineering for a rental boiler company called Powerhouse (www.powerhouse.com). We build and rent portable boiler rooms and other auxiliary equipment in 20', 40', and 53' containers. We wanted to create something of a "showpiece" for some trade shows so the idea is to recreate one of our units as a 1/14 scale model.

I'm joining to get to know the hobby and get some help along the way. I would like to present the finished product to our CEO at our Holiday Party in October so I've got some time to get things done but I also know I have a lot of work ahead of me.

For the first unit, I'll be reproducing one of our units in a 40' box (typically we use 40' containers from Seabox) and a 40' chassis (typically use 40' Cheetah Chassis).

Looking forward to participating in the forum and getting to know this hobby as I build out this project!

Thanks,
Rob

Hostile 03-22-2018 04:56 PM

Re: Newbie to the RC Truck World

Welcome Rob. Sounds like a great project! Plenty of help available here from our pool of members. Look forward to seeing your build

bigdogrod 03-22-2018 05:30 PM

sounds cool, with a removable side to show all the guts...

i'd start with the container trailer, i think rc4wd has a scale 20 and 40 footer or somewhere on ebay i think i saw them as well

got any cad files that you could share? i bet the intricate parts could be 3d printed

jack van 03-22-2018 06:00 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forum and the hobby.Hmm i see the first problem already your gonna have to build 2 of everything 1 for the boss and 1 for you lol. I see a promotion in your future:eek::lol:

powerhouse 03-22-2018 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hostile (Post 163220)
Welcome Rob. Sounds like a great project! Plenty of help available here from our pool of members. Look forward to seeing your build

Thanks! That is what I'm hoping - this forum seemed to be of the more active ones which is why I decided to join here. That and a lot of the projects I've seen posted are very well done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrod (Post 163221)
sounds cool, with a removable side to show all the guts...

i'd start with the container trailer, i think rc4wd has a scale 20 and 40 footer or somewhere on ebay i think i saw them as well

got any cad files that you could share? i bet the intricate parts could be 3d printed

RC4WD is currently out of stock unfortunately - I need to make sure the container I get is correctly scaled to match a 40' high cube container as well. There are some other guys making them but the prices are a bit high. We have some very good welders so making our own container isn't out of the question either - I have very good 3D models of our containers. The plan is to 3D print alot of the small intricate parts. I also have a Shapeoko 3 XXL machine at my disposal as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack van (Post 163222)
Hi there and welcome to the forum and the hobby.Hmm i see the first problem already your gonna have to build 2 of everything 1 for the boss and 1 for you lol. I see a promotion in your future:eek::lol:

I'll "present" it to the CEO but we all know the unit will have to be stored in my office.... my home office... haha!

ittigger 03-23-2018 12:05 PM

Welcome to the RC Trucker world!

:)