RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   SPIKE LUG NUTS...OUCH!!! (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=3468)

glorydays24 12-24-2011 05:15 AM

SPIKE LUG NUTS...OUCH!!!

I was wondering if one of our great vendors could make these. I thought they would look great on my "SLUMLORD".;)

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...days24/801.jpg

If anyone want's to attempt this, feel free to let me know here, or pm me.

Thanx, Big John

Dreamweaver 12-24-2011 04:45 PM

Re: SPIKE LUG NUTS...OUCH!!!

Great Minds think alike John. I was going to have some of those made for myself. I was planning on talking to my micro machinist extraordinaire, also know as tc1cat (Lynn) about these next week.

Let ya know what he says.

glorydays24 12-24-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweaver (Post 43927)
Great Minds think alike John. I was going to have some of those made for myself. I was planning on talking to my micro machinist extraordinaire, also know as tc1cat (Lynn) about these next week.

Let ya know what he says.

Thank you Mike, and I thought I would be an original lol.;)
I was on chrome shop mafia last night going through the gallery pic's, and I saw these and thought WOW, that would be soooooo cooooool.:D:):p:cool:

Thanx again, Big John

ihbuilder 12-24-2011 10:04 PM

you need a screw machine for those how would you tighten them ? best to make them as caps like the real 1's

glorydays24 12-24-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbuilder (Post 43951)
you need a screw machine for those how would you tighten them ? best to make them as caps like the real 1's

Steve, I thought about that myself. I was thinking of the caps, or at the base of the spike, have it to where it would be a hex shape for a wrench. Just a thought. As long as they stay on, I wouldn't really care either way.:D

Big John

DieselKid 12-24-2011 11:25 PM

I'm on the bandwagon! These would be an awesome addition to any rig...especially a custom one.

Tamiya Cowboy 12-24-2011 11:39 PM

Yeah Steve and I have talked this one over already and have not found a good solution to this as I am in need of some for the front of my black truck to match the 1:1 Caps would be n ice if you don't plan to drive it as how will you keep them on so they wont fall off??

glorydays24 12-25-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya Cowboy (Post 43959)
Yeah Steve and I have talked this one over already and have not found a good solution to this as I am in need of some for the front of my black truck to match the 1:1 Caps would be n ice if you don't plan to drive it as how will you keep them on so they wont fall off??

How about silicone?

Big John

derailed 12-25-2011 01:41 AM

someone was selling some in the past
i ordered some, but they never arrived
the ones i ordered you inserted studs into the hub on the truck then threaded these on the studs
i'm still in need of a set for 2 custom trucks
also wanting the acorn style

ihbuilder 12-25-2011 09:30 AM

I just don't see them being cheap . I got the pic in my head on how to do it . but to do them by hand is insane . as for caps , it's not really a good idea as our screws come from over seas from different countries , I have notice different head thicknesses :confused: the best would be to use ss hex rod . I'm just not set up to do it and have enough on my plate .

glorydays24 12-25-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbuilder (Post 43988)
I just don't see them being cheap . I got the pic in my head on how to do it . but to do them by hand is insane . as for caps , it's not really a good idea as our screws come from over seas from different countries , I have notice different head thicknesses :confused: the best would be to use ss hex rod . I'm just not set up to do it and have enough on my plate .

Well if it can't be done because of cost, and the pain it would take to make these, I understand.
And i'm no worse off than I am now...But it is a cool idea.:cool:

Big John

Dreamweaver 12-25-2011 11:17 PM

As for tightening them, I was just going to tighten them as I tightened the screws you installed. Wort comes to worst I would drill out the holes in the hub and then use a pair of needle nose pliers with some shrink tube on them so as not to mar up the surface...

As for cost... um.. I'm in it a grand now and it's nowhere near finished, I still have to buy the MFU, I'm looking at around $400 to $600 for a paint job. Plus the grill, tanks, about $250 in small detail parts. Lets not forget 300 LED's.

Heck whats a few more bucks for lug nuts.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got a new drill press for Christmas I might try to make them myself. I want a different type for my truck.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/s...es/l150665.jpg

I think the hardest part would just be the size. They would have to be between 1/4" and 5/16' long and probably 4-5mm round. Be a pain to drill and tap.

glorydays24 12-26-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweaver (Post 44043)
As for tightening them, I was just going to tighten them as I tightened the screws you installed. Wort comes to worst I would drill out the holes in the hub and then use a pair of needle nose pliers with some shrink tube on them so as not to mar up the surface...

As for cost... um.. I'm in it a grand now and it's nowhere near finished, I still have to buy the MFU, I'm looking at around $400 to $600 for a paint job. Plus the grill, tanks, about $250 in small detail parts. Lets not forget 300 LED's.

Heck whats a few more bucks for lug nuts.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got a new drill press for Christmas I might try to make them myself. I want a different type for my truck.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/s...es/l150665.jpg

I think the hardest part would just be the size. They would have to be between 1/4" and 5/16' long and probably 4-5mm round. Be a pain to drill and tap.

Mike, if "all" you have to get is the mfcu,paint,grill, tanks,detail parts, and 300 led's, what's the hold up??? LOL!!!
I thought the size might be an issue, I like your idea though. But since the "SLUMLORD" already has a menicing stance, I just thought the spikes would add to the bad azz stance.:eek::eek:
And if you didn't figure it out yet, i'm wanting the spikes for the truck and trailer.
Only 100 plus a few spares.
Good luck to you on getting something made, I can't wait to see what happens.

Big John

ihbuilder 12-26-2011 04:18 AM

I'm just not set up to do them in the quantaty needed :eek: I also am starting to learn where to stop :eek::o I do know somebody who can ;) . what material? Stainless Steal :eek: or aluminum ?

ihbuilder 12-26-2011 11:33 AM

workin on this ;):rolleyes: but need quantity , so any more intrested ?

tc1cat 12-26-2011 01:29 PM

I agree with you Steve! Needs to be made on a CNC lathe or screw machine. Real pain to make by hand unless you only needed 20 or so. Would be pricey option any way you go.

Tamiya Cowboy 12-26-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbuilder (Post 44081)
workin on this ;):rolleyes: but need quantity , so any more intrested ?

Steve like we talked before I need enuff for the front of one truck so that would be 20 but I would be in for 20 more depending on cost as I know they wont be cheap.

glorydays24 12-26-2011 09:25 PM

I know thier not going to be cheap. The last time I talked to Ric from precision, I think they were right at a dollar a piece for the wedico wheels. Now that been said, if I went stainless, that will make the cost go up i'm sure. And if i'm guessing corectly, they will be more than that.
When you hear what the cost may be, please let us know...enquiring minds want to know.:D:p;)

Big John

Dreamweaver 12-27-2011 01:12 AM

I need 100 for sure but probably better have some extras, so 120 for sure.... for now.. either stainless or aluminum. my thoughts are being that small stainless would be hard as he!! to polish where aluminum would be a LOT easier.

glorydays24 12-27-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweaver (Post 44178)
I need 100 for sure but probably better have some extras, so 120 for sure.... for now.. either stainless or aluminum. my thoughts are being that small stainless would be hard as he!! to polish where aluminum would be a LOT easier.

I agree with you Mike, aluminum would be the way to go.

Big John