View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM

kenlms is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone bought r2hobbies truck stuff?

Ok guys, I received my r2hobbies 20ft contrainer and have started construction.

The steps pretty much echos Tamiya's 40ft container, with the need to join side and top panels left out.

The instructions are reasonable, but loose sheets which can be accidentally mixed up. The parts are not to the level of quality of Tamiya. Some of the fits are quite tight, requiring some sanding/filing.

The required screws and nuts are included in numbered bags and called for in the instruction. While all the screws were included, I did find that some bags were lacking in screws which I did eventually find in subsequent bags. Fortunately I have also already built up a collection of spare screws and nuts anyway!

Test fitting on the Tamiya container trailer; the 20ft container fits properly.

The decals included are not just a copy of the Tamiya originals, but looks very similiar. The Maersk logo has been resized to fit a 20ft container lengths. The other markings however are a direct copy of the Tamiya 40ft container.

The BIC code is identical which is an annoyance for a model maker, as you can't really display 2 containers side by side. Fortunately there are spare letters and numbers to make up your own.

The following web site is useful for accurate identification markings
http://www.bic-code.org/index.php?op...ist&Itemid=340

The size markings included, being a copy of Tamiya's is for a 40ft container and therefore incorrect. The weight and size markings are also incorrect for a 20ft container. Unfortunate, you will have to make your own if you want accurate ones.

A good reference can be found here:
http://www.containerhandbuch.de/chb_..._03_03_00.html

I had intended to include some construction-in-progress photos and a side-by-side comparison with the Tamiya container. Unfortunately I am not able to log on to Flickr at the moment. I will post them as soon as I can.

Last edited by kenlms; 02-15-2015 at 07:54 AM.