View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Article Online Featuring My D10 Dozer Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Hope that it's realy that way with CAT. My opinon is the opposite. The local organization is normaly encouring but when contacting central office in europe, the woman in charge of marketing told me that under no circumstanse I could put a CAT label on my one off model. Hard to belive that they would go to court about this, a multibillion company agains a civilian, must have more important issues.
I have made my own decals with a font comercial available, as close as possible but NOT cat's version.
If you start producing your fine model it may be a complete different issue, so don't send another model to ceo, he might prosecute you
Yeah, honestly I didnt really intend to produce a model to sell. That would without a doubt infrige on Cats design. I mean anyone selling a dozer with an elevated planetary is copying Cats design and without permision you could be subject to legal ramification. You could argue that its not a cat until you slap the decal on it, but in my eyes, the design of a particular model is THEIR design. It seems wrong to steal it and make money doing so.

I did receive a personal letter from Doug Oberhelman, CEO of Cat, and he was very complimentary in his letter to me regarding the model, and did not elude to any problem with copyright issues. He talked about his love for the outdoors, and his hunting property in IL. I mentioned to The Cat Rep that i owned a few 1:1 Cat machines which we use on our recreational land, and Doug mentioned that in his letter, and what machines he enjoys using on his land. I received a few Cat/ MossyOak Caps, and a signed copy of his book "Quail Lakes & Coal: Energy for Wildlife ... And The World". I thought this was pretty cool, as of course im a big fan of Caterpillar machines. I didnt expect to receive any recognition for the model, I was just experimenting with my abilites, so to get such a nice response from Cat and especially the CEO is a pretty cool thing. Ill take it..

Last edited by JDH429; 05-19-2015 at 10:20 AM.