View Single Post
Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Cooper-that cut seems to be a long way from the table. Hope your mounting is good. I haven't understood what you are doing with the wheels but I thought I would just wait until they were done. I'm sure it will be good. Question-why did you decide to make such a large truck at such a large scale? The reason I ask this is that most mines seem to match truck size with shovel size. I think they like to load with 4-6 buckets per truck. If you load this truck with your standard excavator that will be like "filling a 5-gal. bucket with a teaspoon". Do you have plans for a larger bucket or maybe a larger excavator? Keep the pictures coming.
Well,,,, I guess I like digging more than driving but that's the reason for such a large haul truck and small excavator to load. Also it's what I got . When planning this type of truck I wanted to make the biggest (largest load capacity) I could. In the beginning I had excavator height to limit the build or it would have been a 797. The dumptruck I have is loaded with three scoops. That's too quick for me . For my enjoyment I like the idea of taking a while to load and short amount of time to haul/dump.
As far as wheels, I'm done with one side for back axle rims, well almost have to cut some more. And the duel hub needs cut to accept rims. They are going to bolt onto wheel hub and when they do they will be clamping the tire. Hopefully no wheel/rim spinning. If it does happen I can mill of some material on inside of two piece rims. I made them a little thick for that reason. (I don't know what to expect with that silicone rubber in the long run. Hopefully by weekend I'll have one side done to show. Or by weekend I'll have more spare future build parts