View Single Post
Old 08-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Hwheeler1973 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first Semi build, KW W900L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAddict View Post
That is incredible. My fiancé and I are getting married in October and then most likely headed over the road. I've been a local guy for 5 years now. I've always been able to make great money hauling for the coal mines or casing for the oil & gas industry and never had to go over the road to support myself. That has changed haha. About the only gig I can find where I'm at now is hauling lumber and it's barely paying the bills. We're going to go over the road together (not as team, her just riding) and then cut out paying rent, utilities, etc. JCT seems to have a great LP program where guys are still making good settlements at the end of the week after the truck insurance payments.

This build gives me hope that this may be something I could pursue while being OTR! I'm just very scared of things being easily misplaced in all the little nooks of the truck haha. I also hope my (then) wife doesn't move pieces around on me while cleaning lol.

So I'm completely new to all this. Literally 0 experience in the RC world. At the same time, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and catch on quick. So if you don't mind me asking, if I were going to attempt to do something "custom" (like a KW W9 Studio Sleeper look like this) would you order a kit and use what you could from it or start by ordering stock frame rails, then order suspension, and so on? Start from the ground and go in little sub sections? What would you recommend?

This is an incredible build. I am very jealous. Maybe once I hit the big road, we'll cross paths one day!

Thank you for the compliment on my truck! I'm sorry that it took me so long to respond to your comment. I've been busy trying to get a couple of other builds ready for the Indy show and haven't been on here in awhile.

It does happen that especially the smaller stuff gets misplaced or even lost. But that happens even when you've got a workbench! The most important thing is to clean up and put everything away when you're done. That's the best way to avoid loosing stuff.

I think most will agree that for someone with no experience, a kit is the best way for you to get started. Buying and assembling a kit lets you see how everything goes together and how it all works. All kits come with assembly instructions that are pretty easy to follow. I would suggest getting a Grand Hauler kit. It's already got the longer frame rails. They are long enough to build a W900 with a Studio sleeper on but they are shorter than what I used. Honestly, the wheelbase on this truck is right at the edge of unusable if it was scaled up to real size. Using the Grand Hauler rails would make it more realistic in the full sized world.

I really have enjoyed running across some of the members on here! It's always cool to put a face to a user name!