View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Topcad replacement front axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDownSouth View Post
That's very interesting Bo, thank you.

As you have one of these, do you find the suspension very stiff? For example, if one front wheel runs over something about 7mm or so, the rear wheel on the same side lifts up. These are very light models in relation to the strength of the leaf spring, so I was thinking of taking out a leaf to soften them a bit. Have you tried this?

I don't plan on hauling or carrying heavy loads, so I don't need such strong springs.
Yes i got a few aftermarket Axles. The only reason to have those was i believed they was much better. The aluminum Knuckle is good thing, the rest is not better. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLOY-ALUMIN...99XVS61TZ6TzAQ
Like this a few $ cheaper. The springs i don't pull apart most of them has a rivet holding them together, and if you remove blades the u bolt get kind of too long.
So i cut the blade off in front of axle, with a Dremel just two strokes and then bed it off. Start with one. if needed cut next behind the axle.that way i've don it and it improve a lot. The weight is a problem... way too light should be 10 KG or 22LBS for a truck think.