View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 AM

mototodo is on a distinguished road
Default Scratch-Built Flatbed

This flatbed trailer started as a byproduct of a Dakar truck that I was building. The truck is based on a Bruder MAN TGA cab and a Tamiya High Lift 3-speed chassis with TLT axles. I had been working on the Dakar truck for a while when I decided I should do something with the remaining Bruder pieces. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away but I also couldn't envision using the parts for anything. I had started hanging around the old Garden Trucking Forum due to a Knight Hauler and Dry Box acquisition. I had seen a few low-loaders and dollies made from Bruder axles and though I had admired them, they didn't register as projects that I would pursue.

I posted the parts in the Sell/Wanted section and figured that if no one wanted them, I would toss them. That is until one day, several weeks after posting the ad and receiving nary a nibble, I picked up the parts and considered actually tossing the parts. That's when it hit me: a dolly would be a simple build and surely someone would want a Bruder-axled dolly.

While contemplating the hacking of the chassis, it occurred to me that I could build a single-axle dolly out of the front axle and I could build a complete trailer based on the pair of rear axles. And not only that, the chassis section holding the rear axles could be bolted right up to chassis rails. Easy Peasy.

I started acquiring materials. I cut the chassis rails to 36" long which is approx. 42 feet at 1/14th scale. I considered making it a few inches longer for a more common 48' trailer but I decided to sacrifice scale for maneuverability and shelf space. Also, 36" is a common length for materials.

Here is a shot of the Dakar truck that I built using the Bruder's cab. It's on a Tamiya High Lift 3-speed chassis with custom leaf springs and TLT axles and it has working lights.
Build thread is here: http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50734

Last edited by mototodo; 02-04-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: accuracy