Thread: DIY Hyd Pump
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: DIY Hyd Pump

These 55, 65, ect turn motors that the truckers always refer too are the Integy 12v lathe motors that they are running on 7.2v? Does anybody have any relevant data on them?

I think it's a Johnson motor on the Leimbach pump. @13v, 6000rpm freespin @ 1.1amp, approx 4000rpm full load (flow thru the relief valve) @ 2.2amp (I've measured the amp draw myself @15bar pressure).

The only problem I have ever had is oil leaking past the input shaft & into the electric motor that drives it... eventually (20-25 start ups) the oil burns out the motor. It's only a few drops while it sits long periods between use (few days or wks). And yet, I have one Leimbach pump 10yrs old/over 1000hrs that continues to work fine... go figure. Definitely need to have a seal on the input driveshaft. Damitz pumps have one, I've never heard of one failing yet.

The preferable voltage would be 10 cells, 12v (13.5 to 14 @ full charge), though lipos are becoming more & more popular all the time... I'm gonna try lipo with my 850 to start with. Maybe 3s @11.1v or 4s @14.8v but with a Castle voltage regulator set to 13v constant.

Leimbach, as an example, running the pump too fast will disengrate it in short order. Width of the gears determines the oil flow moreso than the diameter. 2.5mm to 3mm dia plumbing with a pump output of 350 to 400ml/min is plenty for 14th scale hyds.