View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 AM

mikeymagz is on a distinguished road
Default Scania R620 Stretched ....first-pitch

Well here is a few pic.s of my 1st custom build in progress:

(I know it is a pretty "simple" build, for most of U all....)

For me it means working with Styrene for the first time, custom made parts, & A BUNCH of research with a tangled mess of 50-questions!! LOL!!

Here goes:

1st mock-up minus the CORRECT rails(Freddy's cutting them now)

My rendition of a headache rack:

And because I'm STILL waiting for Tamiya to re-label (primer)
some 1st's @ styrene work:

(was a rainy day today.... took a trip to the local hobbyshop to do some Man-Shoppin'!! Loaded up with everything needed to work styrene) I also have a batch coming from Travis, ...OH BTW... his prices are KILLER!! Our local HS had .080 6"x11" for $6.99!!! Anyway....

This back-side cover is cut but I'm still waiting on 1 more 10 LED strobe array then I will drill and hide wires inside. (Batt. for this will be hidden in deck frame.)

I used KH rails for the deck frame, there 4" longer than the R620 stock rails and fit the build better. I made a couple cross-members for this out of 1/4 solid Delrin rod.

rockNmayhem will B making the screw-drive for the role-back just as soon as I get him some good measurements.
I cut a "cover" for these rails from .30 styrene.(didn't like all the factory holes showing) will put on much later.

My uncle works for PPG so I have him chasing the code for my paint choice, he is going to make a few rattle cans for me. It is Scania's Limited Edition Black Amber, I like to think of it as ........ Root Beer...

All in all ........ here is my 1st synopsis,
*** Styrene and the designing is very cool!!

*** Green putty dries REALLY fast!!

*** this big-truck R/C thing is NOT cheap .. but darn

*** Tamiya takes WAY to long to re-label(2 month's now)

*** And last but not least.......

*** Ask questions.... the un-knowing is EXPENSIVE