View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
It's ok Rob you can say my name.

Tyler, not trying to rain on your parade, however I see you made the same mistake I did when I first built my hinge system for my hood...

The problem with the way you built the hinge is that when you install the front bumper the hood will hit and not open unless you have a huge cap between the hood and bumper.

If you look at a 1:1 hood on just about all conventionals you will see that the hinge has a arch to it that allows the hood to go forward when opening.

In this picture if you look close you can see where the bumper and the bumper mount touch. Then look to the left of that and you can see the bottom edge of the hood. Now notice that there is a little over a 1/4" there that is taken up by bumper.

In this picture you can see that in order to make this work I literally had to build it JUST like the 1:1 trucks. I had to have the back of the bumper relieved and then had to bring the pivot point of the hinge out and in side the bumper. This allows for the hood to move far enough forward to clear the bumper but also makes the pivot far enough forward so that the hood sit where it needs to be when closed.

This took a LOT of trial and error. I'm not telling you what or how to do it, but hey if someone else already went through all the BS then why do it your self.

The long and the short of it is this. The hood has to be in front of the bumper when open therefore the gap between the hinge pivot point and the hood has to be greater than the width of the bumper. The only other way to do it is to mount the hinge to the top of the bumper as several people have done. however if you think about it even doing it like that when the hood is open it is still in front of the bumper.

Just thought I'd give ya a heads up
Hey Mike I have looked at your build about oh lets say 1000 times and still drool over it so I knew what I was in for when building the hood hinge.

I made two different styles of hinge one like yours but I broke out the math, calculator, computer and booted up my cam program and so became this hinge. If you notice in my pics of where it is mounted it pivots the whole hood and grill right on the very edge of the lower grill to where when lifted forward the whole hood lifts up .012th's of an inch so I can have the bumper in the stock location with no interference and also keep the body lines tight. I had to sacrifice some space at the lower part of the back of the hood as seen in the pics to clear the lift but fill that with small rubber cording and it seals right back up and looks like a real truck. I'll take some pics of one of my mock up bumpers I've started and let ya see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the input tho, and if you ever wanna build another steering box you'd save me alot of time that way.

Tyler