View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reasonable Advice Needed

George, I'm not sure on the width of the axle, however if you check the dimensions of the Axial SCX-10, I'm sure the width of the truck is shown there, and although it is not the width of the axle alone, it will be helpful. The track width is measured from the outside edge of one tire, to the outside edge of the other. The specs I found say the truck is 9" (227mm) wide.

By the way, these same axles are used under the Axial Wraith also.

As for the locked differential, it's more of a rock crawler feature. The benefit is the power is equally sent through both tires on the axles, regardless of traction conditions. With an open differential the power likes to take the path of least resistance, so if one tire has no traction at all, that is the tire that will spin. The other tire might have perfect traction, but because the torque likes to take the easy path, you'll be stuck. A locked differential takes care of that. Even if one tire is up in the air, both tires will be driven.