View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Trucker47 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible Solution For Tracked Equiptment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Shouldn't all the grouser bars be tapered a bit, I think that's how the real ones are.
I'm going off this picture and some pictures of the vario tracks and it looks like they have a very slight taper. other than the tailing face of the last grouser has a greater taper. Also if I was to taper them it would really increase my machining cost as they would either need to be machined on a 4 axis machine with a tilting head of just have multiple passes using a ball nose which would take much for time than a few passes with just a 90deg endmill. And im sure you know, time is money!

I may make another grouser pad just like this with more some details and see what machining cost will be.

I got en e-mail form my machine shop today and they said they are just wrapping up the quote and should have it within a day or two. I may send them another grouser pad that is a little more scale and complicated to see how much it will cost.

But the good thing is, is that if this pitch that I am currently using is what you guys can use then I can make multiple different grouser pads that will bolt onto the link with just unbolting the old one and bolt the new one back into place making this a very universal system!

Chris