View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CAT 963 Full Hydraulic Build

Hmm, lighting solutions...

The cab interior leakage is easy enough to deal with, and get that red 'night-vision retention' option I mentioned - just use a bit of that Tamiya translucent lens paint (or some dollar-store fingernail polish) and dab some on the backside of the LED's inside the cab. I've had to do the same to avoid LED's lighting up a lexan R/C body, and its a cheap and easy solution (though I used silver, then black)

As for the forward lighting, well, there are a few ways I can think of.

One method is using ~two~ pair of lamps, mounted on the nose, one above the bucket, one below, so that when one of the sets is obstructed by the bucket, the other set is clear. This method would take a bit of calculation in where to place the pairs.

Another method is mounting a snowplow-like spread-bar on the lift boom, about where that bend is at the end of the CAT logo. Put the lamps on the ends of the arms, and they should shine past either side of the bucket. Problem there is as you lift the bucket, the lamps will tilt up...

A variation of the spread-mount is ~if~ the forward wheels have partial fenders, put the lamps on the outer edges of the fender/mudguard, using a support-rod to hide the wiring (it'll look like a fender-support/stiffener)

Does that help you out?

WhiteWolf
- afeared of hydraulics (the mess and the prices!)