View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Hi Tom, working on it. But not much time lately

Hi Chris, I will post some pictures tomorrow of the limited movement of the air suspension vs the leaf version.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This afternoon got some time and started on the fifth wheel.

Here the parts

ScaleART delivers with 3 different ground plates, one flat one, one raised one for manual operation and one raised one for use with a servo.

Also various nuts and bolts. The bits on the right with the long screws are for attaching the servo.

The actual parts of the fifth wheel

We begin with putting some stickers on the supports

Bolt the supports to the ground plate

Now place the moving / locking parts on the bottom side of the fifth wheel. The arrows point to the recesses where the supports will go. The circles are where the servo will attach later on.

Then the two parts are combined and held together with a cover plate. I made a picture beforehand to show this without the bottom plate blocking the view.

Here the finished assembly

The two stainless steel glide plates are supposed to be glued in place, but I just laid them in for now.

Next up is the prepping of the servo. The cable needs to be moved from the side to the bottom. Once that is done, the support plate is put in place (arrow), the long screws inserted and the distance piece and 2 nuts put in place. (the aluminium support plate needed the holes for the screws enlarged a tad - I ran a 2.5mm bit through them). The support plate is not mentioned in the instructions that came with the parts. I put the support in front, but in hind sight I think it would be better in back to bring the servo out a mm or so and give a bit more clearance to the servo horn.

Servo horn needs be cut to 11 mm

Servo mounted in the fifth wheel

Fifth wheel bolted on truck

Will take some pics tomorrow of the mechanism open and closed. Forgot those. Might add some silicone grease too and change the position of the servo support.

Last edited by Rakthi; 11-14-2015 at 09:36 AM.