View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

I finished the main part Sunday night... liquid fertilized my winter wht Monday & saw how bad the broadleaf weeds were getting already, so I did in-crop weed spraying Tuesday... then went to do some custom spraying glyphosate that night.

I have a self draining 75acre slough bottom that I got seeded Weds, I put it to oats & have a cattle farmer interested in taking it for either green feed bales or silage.

I have a couple of 10ac sloughs that are probably a wk to 10days to dry out if it don't rain much in that time, but tomorrow is forecasted rain to start some time in the morning & be possibly an inch worth in 24hrs. The cut off seed date is June 20th, so if I don't get it done by then, I won't do it.

My phone has been ringing since Tues to do custom spraying with glyphosate, I've got about a 1000ac to do. But it's been quite windy Weds Thurs today, so I've done none of it... I look out the window just now & the trees are still swaying quite a lot. Lots of crop everywhere is now through the ground, gotta be careful about drift... I farm in a block, there's nobody within my perimeter & all my land is fenced, so there is 10'+ grass berm separating me from my neighbors' lands, I've never had spray drift cross the fence and so far (knock on wood) I haven't killed any of my own crops using different chemicals... as in what I use in my oilseed crops (flax & brown mustard) to kill broadleaf & grassy weeds - including previous yr cereal that has now volunteered would kill the cereal crops planted next to it... but there again I've changed things from the way my dad did it 6yrs ago - he used to have 80ac or so strips all across the farm of various crops so if a hail storm came through he would still have some of each crop in another area... vs today I farm in big blocks - one corner is all mustard, another corner is all flax & last is all spring wht & winter wht... not very often I get hail, last time a bad one was 99, which got about 2/3's the farm.

I loaded out the last of last yr's flax on a Btrain this afternoon... wait to get paid a month from now... my last cheque came from headquarters in Ireland. Other than that, it's been pretty slack since the last couple days... Gosh I love this life - go hard when I have too & goof off when I don't.

Joe