View Single Post
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Check out that crazy articulation!! LOL

My plan all along has been to run a Tamiya TLT front axle in this thing. Same gear ratio as the semi rear axles and a good width. They're increasingly more difficult to locate these days, but I found one on ebay and guess what arrived from Canada over the weekend? I gave it the same treatment as I did for the rear axles.

Then I greased up the gears, along with a coating on everything else in there to prevent rust since it may see some light water crossings.

And so much for an assembled truck! I yanked the front axle so I could figure out how I want to attach the TLT axle.

I am now at a crossroads. I need to determine how to mount the TLT to the leafs. The stock leaf spring has no holes in it. That would mean I'd need to drill two holes in order to attach it to the axle. Not sure how well this steel will drill since I suspect it may be spring steel? I also have Hi Lift springs, which has three holes in it. I may look into installing it, but am not sure if it will be stiff enough to support the weight of this truck. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Lastly, I still need to determine my transfer case choice, as well as my gear reduction method. But whatever I choose, it's looking more and more like I'll need to run the TLT upside down.....or maybe run my rear axles upside down if that's easy enough to do. Haven't looked into that yet, though. Again, any input is appreciated, but I've giving strong consideration to this transmission/transfer case:
1/14 rc car truck for tamiya 2 position 2wd/4WD Metal Transmission Planetary gear box