Thread: 1:50 Dragline
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:50 Dragline

FB,

Thanks for the compliment and questions!

I actually ripped down the most recent solid 2x6 barge into approx 1/8 slabs and built it up with that. That is the second one in the high speed video. I like the way it works and I just need to decide if I want to make three more the same way. I also plan to finish it out by adding a hollow section around the perimeter by adding false walls around the sides and putting a walkway on that. It would look very similar to the rust color one but it would be an actual hopper. I am in the shop now, and my intention today was to finalize the material and start on three more, but so far all I have done is clean, put stuff away and hang a new light over an unused bench. I'm sure ill get to the barge building process this afternoon! My short term goal with the barges is to have four that look good so I can have a full tow to push thru the lock chamber. Actually six might be a full tow, but there is not enough room on any one of the ponds to do much with that big a tow load.

When I started out with the barge and tow boat thing I knew I wanted a LOT of mass to push so the tow and barges reacted more realistic. It was also VERY easy to test the prototype since all I had to do was cut some 2x6 to length.

You can tell the difference with a loaded barge, empty and empty hopper. The motor in my tow is a Carrera 1/32 slot car motor. I actually used the entire rear end/motor pod from the car which included the axel, crown gear and motor with pinion.

Here is a pic of the setup. I was hoping for an under powered setup to help out with realism, I don't like stuff that looks way overpowered compared to its real life counterpart.

I scratch built the entire boat except for using the drive train from the slot car. Cut the four blade prop from brass stock, and made the stuffing tube and driveshaft from brass rod.

Thanks

Jim