View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
Love the verticle headlights behind the grill ! So this truck has 13 speeds forward and forward ?! Mike
Haha, it would be cool if those were lights. They'd be nice and bright! She just has a Johnson bar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
I was looking for the open side hood with a 12V71 under it, they're looking good Reg.
No, no. These trucks weren't big enough to have that much power. Usually an old Cummins.... unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSGARAGE View Post
Hey man....this/they look awesome but you need to take a break from building for a while....ummmm which end is the front ?? The two cabs on the same frame facing different directions just looks wrong...heehee....and I'll bet that's exactly why you took those pictures just to mess with us....good laugh!!! But in any case the truck or umm trucks or let's see umm the "it" looks fantastic!!! Lol
Thanks KP. I was just trying to fit the panels on both without having two chassis on the bench. It's also a good way for me to see how close or not the two are shape wise. Lou's has the newer style side windows and some other "on purpose" tweaks to separate them but otherwise they are close for hand made. That'll do donkey, That'll do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcCracken15 View Post
Looking good. I only wish i had just the time to try and build somthing that nice! But i do have a quick question. Are you tig welding the aluminum or a type of solder? Cause i have yet to see if you can solder aluminum with good results!
Yes it takes a lot of time and patients... I have never used solder on aluminum so I can't say how it would work. I have been tempted to try it but so far I have just stuck to using the TIG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Hey reg,

On post 59 you have a pic of a die in the 3 jaw. Are you putting threads on that spindle under power? Does your lathe turn slow enough to do that or are you turning it by hand and just using the lathe to hold everyone square?

Jim
Hey Jim, in that picture I am just using the lathe to keep everything straight. I don't think that lathe would have the power needed but even if it did, it would just break the die. Turning by hand going ahead but being able to back it up under power is nice on longer threads. I have done some smaller threads under powder when making steering rods but that is only 1/8" aluminum.