View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fumotec Komatsu 490 LC build

Now back to page 10 for step 2

This assembled part then slides into the carrier. (page 11)

Of course, I got confused again and installed the right drive into the left carrier, so had to take it all apart again, turn motors around to get cables in the right place etc etc ... Live and learn.

Ended this session with installing the cover on the drive wheels. The little hex bolts are just glued in with UHU Endfest.

Since I had to take the drive bits apart again, noticed that the parts didn't really have a tight fit. A sharp 90° corner doesn't really fit 100% in a slight rounded one.

A bit of filing later ...

Perfect fit

And now properly installed.

Next up were the 4 upper rollers.

Those too needed sa bit of filing and sanding to fit properly as they are a very tight fit indeed.

Next up, page 12, the track tensioners.

Again some sanding required.

Plastic bushings installed with some force

install the 2 nuts on each bolt

I followed the drawing in the manual, but that didn't leave much room for tensioning ... so before I installed them and after some experimenting, they were more like this.

By now the missing pieces of track had arrived so I could finish the under carriage. In the red box you can see one of the pins used to assemble the track.

Before installing the tracks, I decided to install the bearings connecting upper and lower parts. Page 5 in the manual

Needed to file this little nub to be able to fit it in.

Top view:

Bottom view:

As you can see the machining is really tight. Had to put the metal holder in the sun (does get nice and hot here in the sub tropics) and the bearings in the freezer to be able to fit easily.

Installed (view underside)

Ready to install the tracks

ESC's of both drive motors squeezed in

To be continued when I find the time to size and upload the pictures.
Hope you have as much enjoyment out of looking at the pics as I got out of building it.

Cheers!

Stephan