Thread: Zil 130 Thing
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zil 130 Thing

Yeah, it does look a bit big, but I think it's close enough so it won't look too out of place next to Tamiya rigs. That's my hope anyway!

I've got some build updates to share...

I got the 80t HH motor installed and also installed a Savox steering servo (not pictured).

By the way, the fifth wheel is on sliders so you can move it fore/aft. It only locks into the rearmost position, but I'll change that so I can move it forward a bit. Should help with wheelying with heavy loads. It also has a handle to release the kingpin.

And when's the last time you saw rubber shock bushings on an RC vehicle? Cool!

In stock form the intent is to have the drag link go from the servo to the driver's side spindle. I don't like this, but fortunately, the curved mount that attaches the drag link to the spindle is removable so I swapped it to the passenger side. I had to get creative with the servo arm and a "custom" drag link, but I like the outcome.

Next up was to address the very open diff.

Very small snap ring pliers are needed.

Familiar looking.

I cleaned off the old grease and installed some Bad Horsie diff goop. Works much better now, but not fully locked.

Looks like ample room under the hood for a basic electronics setup. Probably has room for a Beier unit, but I'll need to determine where I want to put the speaker and battery.

Now a bit of bad news. I got the body put together and the hood was very warped. I've reached out to Asia Tees and to King Kong RC to work on a replacement. I will likely also try to heat/bend this one back into position.

Other than the warped hood, I'm still pretty impressed with this thing. No, it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. Now that it has a bit of weight in it, it even has respectable articulation!

And yes, I've begun looking into the possibility of putting a TLT in the front. I'd change the color, of course.

Last edited by Tommy R; 04-26-2021 at 01:23 PM.