View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Steve-great work as always! You have got a lot done since I last checked in! Videos looked like fun. That one little boy sitting by the dirt pile looked very interested-maybe the next generation dragline operator? Are you happy with the time it takes to boom up under power?
Thanks, Tom, The little boy watching I found out later from his dad who drives for the gravel company is a very observant fellow. He told me he sees things around the pit that aren't correct and tells him about it. Funny thing, I was watching him and was thinking about handing him the controls and see how he would do before his dad filled me in. But he told me after I packed the machine up in the van.
As far as booming up. From flat on the ground to 25deg it takes about 16 minutes. Not bad at all. I had it set up at 25deg but the way I was digging on the flat area in front ,There wasn't too much room to hoist near the fairlead.
Next week when I take it out again (I hope) I'm going to try 30deg that makes the point about 9.5'' higher,and see how that works. I want to make a miniature boom angle meter to go on the base near the operator. But for now I know the measurement on the boom to the A frame for the angle.
I definitely need to build the bucket correctly because if you notice in the video, the bucket just slides along the bottom of my cut not digging at all. That will be remedied when I redo the cutting edge and angle the teeth down. I think 23deg a guy told me who had years of experience on drags.