View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mill advice needed

If I could have, I would have bought a Bridgeport knee mill too, but I did not have a good place for it. It's best to keep them in a climate controlled environment, otherwise they will rust. An insolated garage will do. Drastic changes in temperature will cause the machine to sweat, and the moisture will cause rust.

If you have a means to do so, by all rights buy the biggest mill you can. You will be glad when you need the extra x, y, and z axis working envelope. A smaller mill can still do larger parts, but it means repositioning your work a lot more, and that's a pain. Your throat height, however, will be something you cannot overcome.

That said, I am more then pleased with my bench top milling machine. It has it's limitations, but for what I do, it has been the best tool purchase I have ever made. I use it almost daily. My thought is any milling machine is better then no milling machine.