View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: MB Heavy Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
Nice build as usual.

So I'm curious to know what you think of the axles you've been using to give your trucks all-wheel drive. Since you've had time to driving around with them, would you mind giving a review? Which axles are they, the Lesu or other make? Do they have the diff lock via servo? Thanks in advance.
Thanks For Asking. Well, I'm not a happy camper with this Lesu axles. The center axle in the picture axle was pretty much trash after 20 hours; the small gears were stripped or cracked in all four axles. Before I used them, I took them apart and tightened screws that had a turn or two until they even reached the bottom. Put a significant amount of grease, could hardly see any lube when I got them apart.

[IMG]IMG_1651 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

The other model of the axle is a disaster too. After the same preparation, I went to Germany with three trucks Two KH Beam Haulers "The Twins" and one old Globeliner. I run one KH for six hours and the first axle after the gearbox wholly done. I had to rob the other old KH Beam Hauler for the axles so I could run two more days. The same happened again, UGH. Had to run The Globe Liner for most of the time, and I have Tamiya standard axles in that one, The incoming and outgoing axle shafts had worn out the soft bushing and destroyed the bearing. The axle shaft could tilt in the elongated hole.
Yes, there is one bushing inside the housing and one roller bearing outside.
I have 20 of them Lesu Axles. Now I mount them on my future Shelf queens if I get some. They look good on the outside, Inside who cares if you don't run them. The Tamiya standard axles I have used for a long time on My first KH Beamhauler has lasted four years and a lot of hours, Probably 100-200 hours.
I'm going back to standard axles until a better alternative shows up. I don't want to hurt Lesu with a bad review. I gave them all the info. But the response wasn't all that good.

[IMG]IMG_4174 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4171 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_4169 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Bo Wallen; 04-13-2019 at 10:50 PM.