Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2022, 04:55 PM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What happened?

I had an email exchange with Joe (LilGiants) about a year ago about the login problems I had. He explained to me that the original founder FreddyGearDrive past away and the passwords and licencecodes for the forum went with him.

Basically the forum needs a computerexpert that know how to migrate to new software and the financial side is then to pay for license fees, serverspace etc.

Since the software is very old a crash can happen again. There is already some spamming going on again.

When the forum went blank I emailed Joe again to ask what happened and he confirmed that the forum had crashed. In the same timespan I contacted Bo Wallen through Facebook, he is one of the administrators of the RCTruckandConstruction page on FB, to ask if he knew anything, since Joe’s answer came some time later.

He didn’t know and apperently doesn’t have contact with the forum administrator (my conclusion).
He wanted to take over the administration of the forum some time ago, but it didn’t happen for some reason.

Now I am not in a position to give any opinion about what has happened, all I know is that running a forum is a difficult task that requires a lot of knowledge and if the owner decides to pay for it themselves also a costly one.

I think just spending just some money to keep this forum running is perhaps not the most futureproof thing, since an update to keep it working is almost inevitable. The forum was quit heavy on traffic, but almost dead on new contributions. To make it futureproof and user friendly, with direct photo upload, embedded Youtube videos and hacker safe invirement, so that my email and password is not stolen, is only possible with an active member crowd and modern software.

It is strange to me that the only English forum for RC trucks and contruction that I know of is more a Titanic heading for an iceberg than a comfortable, large, save community having fun.

I like to read here and see the different aproach from what I am used to here, but the current administrator(s) should think if this is just a FreddyGearDrive memorial forum, or should be something for the future.

Maybe I am direct or thinking out to loud, but with just paying the server costs the keep it running, the next crash might be sooner then you think with this old software. Or the server crashed and it is now running on a different one, then it might go alright for some longer, but the one who pays has got to be willing to keep it going as well.

I am glad to see the forum back after one month, and hope it is able to stay.