View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: He is at it again! 1:50 Dozer Conversion

Hi John, welcome to the forum! I'm honored that you pick my thread for your first post!

The way it usually turns out, like on my dozer, you need at least one speed controller, which provides the voltage to a typical DC motor. The speed controllers also provide 5 volts for the radio reciever which will I turn power any servo motors plugged into the reciever.

Trouble I'm having is that with the newer style brushless motors, the older style brushed motor controllers are harder to find in the smaller sizes. I DID manage to find some in china, so if they turn out like I hope they will solve my space issue.

As for battery power, the latest and greatest is LiPo, which has great power density. They can be a bit sensitive to charging/discharging and can be damaged if not treated right. One of the functions available on most speed controllers is low battery voltage cutoff, so the controller shuts down the output to the drive motor before the voltage dros below a threshold that would damage the battery.

Jim