View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 07:07 AM

Doggy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Tnx Rimrock.

Well the first idea was to create something just by expanding what is already there. When you look at the Tamiya truck, and when you change all the stuff you ont really like, you end up just with a cabin, so why buy Tamiya in the first place?
I liked the 3speed from the hilux, first gear for crawling, and others for normal driving. But yes, 2 speed would be enough. I plan to develop such gearbox in the future.

Thing about this simple mod is, you use your stock out of the box tamiya truck, fit AWD GRU and front axle, and you have 10mm more in height, and AWD. GRU gives you probably slower 1st gear and more torque than Servonaut, and when you want to go faster, you have 2 extra gears, and it still is very fast in 3rd gear.

I think using 3speed with GRU changes everything. I am playing all mornign with AWD, and it is awsome. Before the truck wasnt able to climb 5mm bump unless you hit it fast. Now I can use it like a crawler, only the height of the front bumper limits where you can go with it. I guess I need to make offroad version of the front bumper