View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 12:51 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

On June 18th some Texas folks are getting together with some RC construction equipment and trucks to play around. I'm stoked about running my Peterbilt with some other rigs so that was enough motivation to finally get off my butt and work on the next step of the truck: mounting the transfer case.

I decided on an Axial trans as a t-case. It's going to hang down pretty darn low, but that's okay. This thing isn't a rock crawler. And if the low slung nature of the t-case causes too many hang-ups, I can always build a new bracket with the t-case oriented in a different direction. But with it the way it is, the front driveshaft easily clears the transmission so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

First I took some folder material and started mocking up the overall length of material needed and where I'd want to bend it (approximately, of course).

Then I transferred it to some 1/8" THK aluminum flat stock and began bending it. I just used my vice so the bends did not come out too cleanly. That's okay. It'll work for now and doesn't look awful.

Was able to re-use the stock rear driveshaft to join the trans to the t-case.

Using the stock main driveshaft for the front now. This may change soon, though.

The t-case sits a bit above the framerails so I had to trim away some of the sleeper cab floor.

Now it'll sit nice and flush. I just need a rear driveshaft to join the t-case and the middle axle.