View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

I've been working on the diff housings on and off for a few days now. Many things have not gone my way so far. The first thing to go wrong was a broken bandsaw blade before I even had the diffs cut out. I managed to TIG weld the blade back together well enough to finish splitting the block in two but not a permanent fix by any means. I had wanted to do a lot more cutting to save time but the weld was starting to crack so into the mill they went. After about three hours of cranking handles as fast as I could I was spent and soaked with sweat so I called it a day. The next morning I was off to town to buy a replacement blade... When I arrived at the first store I quickly found out that they had every blade imaginable EXCEPT the one I needed. So off to the next place I went only to find virtually the same situation there. They did have one that had more TPI so I reluctantly purchased it, made a quick detour to buy some cheap cordless screwdrivers(you know, future projects...) and home I went. After arriving home I quickly installed the new blade only to find out that it was a no-go on 1 3/4 aluminum. At this point I just carried on machining for a while until I finally became frustrated from shop vaccing chips off of the floor and re TIG'd the blade. If I had done that in the first place I would have saved myself at least and hour on the mill. Anyway a number of other patience testing moments have happened too but this story is already too long... I did have my cordless drill spinning the rotary table while I was milling today though...at least that was fun... until the clamps let go of the housing and....$#%^^#%

I almost have the "easy part" done. Soon I can start on the pumpkins.

Thanks for listening?...or looking?

Reg