View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Green Horn

rc13 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Stahl dozer gear boxes and drive motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Can you change just the stripped gear itself in the oem gearhead with one from the new gearhead/motor?

Smallhaul has worked alot of these Leimbach/Stahl models, I'm sure he has some good advice & maybe some spare parts too to get you going again.

My dozer & track loader motor mounting is different as they were 2002 model years.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated... I thought about the gear replacement. The way the gearbox is pressed together worrries me a little. If it was screwed together it would be no problem. But it is pressed together somehow. There is probably a technique, tool, or machine for it. But that is something I am not familiar with. I wouldn't mind repairing the gearbox. Those small motors are amazingly powerful. But, if I have an issue again, then what... So, I am leaning towards new motors/gearboxes. But at this point, I will do what I need to to get it up and running.

I just inspected the gearbox. I did find the gear that was stripped. I also figured out why it stripped. The shaft that holds the gear is a tad loose where it mount to the outer round plates of the gearbox. The holes that the shaft go in are a little bit reamed out. So the shaft is not spinning in a stable position. The shaft is wiggling... So the holes that the shaft are in are worn. See the pictures below... Now that I see that, the gear replacement just will not work.

Scott from Smallhaul, if you see this, do you have any suggestions?

If I don't hear from Smallhaul I will contact him.

Or does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1345.jpg (157 Bytes, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1346 (1).jpg (157 Bytes, 168 views)