View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: King Hauler Rebuild, Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Why a different paint. What did you not like before?
Well the paint job looks good in pictures. I used Krylon on it because I thought it would make a tougher finish that could be handled better. Its not bad, but it is a spray can finish, although I think I could do better with the can. The problem became with the clear, for some reason it seems it didn't fully cure. About a month after painting it I took it to a show, carried it by the frame between the cab and axle and left a huge dull spot where I was holding it. That spot was actually in the clear, because I could not wash or wax it out. Even when I took it apart, I was leaving hand prints all over it. But the body seemed to come out fine, so I don't know what happened with the frame because it was the same can of clear.

So I've been considering using the Createx line and applying it with my airbrush. Would get a better finish, but would still be back to having to use a can for the clear. I think by looking at their stuff, I could get fairly close to the Krylon blue. We will see, I have some scrap metal I'm going to practice on with the Krylon first, to see if I can improve.