View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM

trewq is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tamiya bolt on reduction gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
I think using 3speed with GRU changes everything. I am playing all mornign with AWD, and it is awsome. Before the truck wasnt able to climb 5mm bump unless you hit it fast. Now I can use it like a crawler, only the height of the front bumper limits where you can go with it. I guess I need to make offroad version of the front bumper

I have to say that I totally agree with this statement.
I've had bone stock R620 Scania with the MFC III, and that combo was not really interesting for any "scale" play.

I've tried a 80T motor, but having so many windings with such tin wire, the motor simply had no power. I've boosted the MFC's output, run a 10T pinion... you name it. It just didn't had power to move.

Then I went with a good old Hobbywing Justock ESC & 21,5T motor. This setup had lots of power, lots of torque, decent low speed & torque resolution, but the problem was with lack of synch between the MFC's sounds & effects and the motion of the truck. And that was so obvious that it really had no sense to have MFC, specially for that price! At least in my books.

Then Doggy came out with his crazy idea. He started modelling the GRU and he sent me few pictures. I came to see him one day, and his unfinished truck that he used to run on 3S just felt so different. I asked him for one GRU and few hours later I had my tractor truck modded & pulling. Then my 3y.o. son came with an idea to make it a tipper truck, and since then we have been abusing the plastic 3D printed GRU with no success in breaking it.
The best thing is, all MFC functions are there. Sound is in synch with motion, and things do look SCALE.

Don’t get me wrong, I still want one made of metal, just cause I like it. But until that becomes available I’ll continue to use the plastic GRU, even on my next 6x6 or 8x6 project.