View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 09:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another Bruder Mack conversion

Ok, I wasted the day today making some new parts for my little Mack. My cordless screwdriver gearboxes filled up with dirt making the gears very unhappy so I needed to swap them out. Add to this problem that they were too long and fat making the truck very wide and high. I got the new motors a while back so I thought today was a good day to get on with the swap.

I started out by making new walking beams that would hold the smaller motors and also reduce the rear ride height by 7.5mm.

Once they where made up I installed the motors, wired them, and gave everything a shot of "barbeque black".

Originally I had just pulled the axles out of the stock wheels and made an insert that was then glued to the center of the rim and the motor shaft. The new motors have a smaller shaft diameter so I had to make something new. I wanted to be able to remove the wheels this time around without force so I had to make up some hubs with set screws. I used the lathe to knock out the centers of the wheels and then made up these simple hubs. The hubs were glued in position and then I used body filler to help them stay put in the rims. Set screws hold them to the motor shafts

Here's the underside of the truck all tidied up! All in all this is a very cheap way to convert one of these trucks as long as you have the machining capability.

And the first test.

http://youtu.be/ER47x2HzB1c

Reg