View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Green Horn

chaseracer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my first semi build (dump)

next update, well in order to make this dump dump, it needs power to move the screwdrive. the common way is to hook seperate motor up to the screwdrive controlled with a second esc and channel, well I wanted to try something different, so with some ideas in my head and friends like Redbull with more ideas and tools, then me. I spend the day at Redbulls (mikes) sunday, and we worked on making a pto style system off the transmission. in order to make this work I needed to make a second shaft come out the back of the tranny. so it would provide power for my pto.

stock tranny.

so the idea is that the 3 speed tranny will operate the pto, meaning I don't need another motor mounted on the truck. so order to do this, we need to make a netural gear so I can make the dump go up and down without the truck moving but I can make it go up with it in gear too. so we figured who needs third gear anyway. .

so take that third gear out.

now on to the fun, the shaft inside the tranny is splined so I couldn't just stick a longer rod in there to get the longer output I wanted so because I need the splines, this is what we did.

we cut the top shaft in half then we will flip the long side around , reattach the shafts with a custom made cupler so second gear lines back up, and now we have a second output out the back.

so I know you are all thinking that the shaft spins all the time so how to you stop the box from going up and down all the time.
this output will power the shaft to the screw drive but this conector shaft (pto) can be engaged and disengaged with a servo. more on that later as all the work is not done on that yet.

I know there will be a few issues and I know there might me some some cons to this setup but I wanted to try something different. and trying something different is fun, or at least that is what I try to tell my wife
thanks for looking

thanks to Steve for the nice coupler he make on his lathe