Thread: Classy Shak
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Classy Shak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straywolf View Post
Sweet i cant wait to see this, would you mind showing us how to back light the dash i have been wanting to do some thing like this someday and i am not sure how to figure it out.

Again excellent work

Mike
Well I have no idea when I will be doing it but here is my idea..

I was thinking of making my own decals of the gauge faces on clear decal paper. Since printers do not print white that means the white numbers on the gauge face will be left clear for the light to come through. Then I will adhere them to a piece of clear overhead projector sheet and cut to size.

Next I will drill the holes in the dash in the appropriate spots and make them just a hair smaller diameter than the gauges I have just made. Then glue the gauges to the dash.

Next I will build a small box for behind the dash and light it with some 2x3 mm LED's. the inside of the box will be covered in aluminum foil to give it a reflective surface. The LED's will be mounted on the underside of the dash facing the box with the aluminum foil thus causing the light going through the gauges to be both uniform and slightly defused so as not to be so overwhelming.

As for the turn and high beam lights I will use the appropriate colored LED's sent threw fiber optics.

~Mike~