View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 AM

valtra103 is on a distinguished road
Default 1/16 custom tractor from scratch

Hello everyone!
I was reading this forum for a few years now. I always wanted to build RC tractor or truck. I started thinking about it when i was about 10 years.
But then i had no way of doing it... I lacked skills, and most important i had no way to get parts, and no money for them.
Now 10 years later I am almost 21 and I decided to start this build. Money is still a problem... So it will be unusual build using cheapest options I can find
But I don't want this build to be "cheap", so i will do my best to build it best i can. For example I can't afford buing things like truck axles... But i don't want to use geared motors as wheel bearings and power. I want to have real open diffs, like real tractor have. Later I probably try to make some kind of locking rear diff. I will build custom tractor just for fun, without trying to replicate real one.
So let's start

Most photos are self-explainatory, so i will keep text to minimum...

First i started to mock up rear diff and shafts... Problem was width. I am using traxxas shafts and ZD differiantial. Had to mod both to fit them together. At first i tried to shorten traxxas shafts, but they ended up to long anyway. Then i bought shortest shafts traxxas have - center shafts. The were OK for this purpose.

Then i bought shortest shafts traxxas have - center shafts. The were OK for this purpose.

Last edited by valtra103; 08-20-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding photos