View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hayes HD dump truck...RCP's style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
So with the additional axle travel of this new spring setup, will the dog bone driveshaft between the diffs or from the trans not fall out?

I tried something similar to this a few yrs ago & the dog bone & cup between the diffs would pop out at max articulation. But RC4WD now has a slider driveshaft that fits perfectly between these diffs, though I don't know if it has enough telescope not to come apart.
It doesn't seem to but it might. While putting together the second side the shaft fell out and I didn't notice until I had bolted everything back up. I couldn't get it to go back in without taking the torque arms off. I think changing the position of the trunnion and the torque arms has improved the geometry(by accident). The stock springs also increase the axle spacing as they are compressed but these are already flat so they don't change much. When I made the springs, I closed up the eyes on them so that they are tight on the bolts. Now there is very little slop in the suspension which may also help. Fingers crossed that it works. I will be putting some stops on the frame anyway as mentioned and that will limit the travel. I guess I won't know until I drive it more but I drove it over some blocks of wood and it stayed in while empty.

Reg