Thread: tig welding
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Backlash is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tig welding

Hi Louie,

Are you sure that its a Dimension, and not a Dynasty or Diversion?

I've worked in a welder repair shop for the last 10+ years, so my advice will be from a slightly different perspective..

I cant remember if the Miller inverters have the fan running all the time,. or if it is "fan on demand" (fan only comes on when it gets hot), but ALWAYS allow the machine time to cool down after using it, before switching / turning it off at the machine or power outlet.. Over the years I have seen so many inverter welders "die" prematurely because the owner turned them off hot, and they have literally cooked themselves to death from the residual heat build up inside..

Adhere to the duty cycle.. Constantly exceeding the duty cycle and running the machine until it hits the thermal cut-off will also shorten its life considerably..

If it has the small "twist lock" type Dinse connectors to connect the Tig torch and Earth Lead, then periodically check that they are tight..

As for consumables.. As Reg has already said, Tungsten's, Collets, Collet Bodies etc.. You can get a few different length "Back Caps" (the black plastic piece that covers the Tungsten on the back of the Tig torch).. Most Tig torches come with a full length back cap, but the shorter ones are good for tight spaces, but you will need to shorten the tungsten to use them..

Use a grinder to cut tungsten's down.. They can fracture/crack length ways if you cut them with wire cutters, and the do all sorts of weird stuff when crack.

A foot pedal is a good upgrade, especially when welding aluminium..

Goodluck.