View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3D Printing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
I know that the rush for development of consumer based scanners is up due to the rise in popularity of 3d printing. I know there are a few out now which are quite expensive..guys were hacking up the xbox connects and using them as scanners with some success and I had read that Microsoft got word of that and there was talk about them refining it and maybe producing a scanner. Makerbot recently released a consumer based desktop scanner. I remember reading about it and for whatever reason I wasn't excited about it.. Too small or poor definition.. Can't remember. The real good ones used in the manufacturing industry are still the best but cost around 8-10 gs I think still. Checkout 123D catch. It's a neat app that allows you to capture 3d images but it's very crude, but you can see where the technology is headed. I think they still need to work on the consumer side of this field, I'd give it another year and it will start to get better. I may start looking around again then.
makerbots scanner is completely trash, not worth the money esspecially when there are scanners out there for 3x less the cost of makerbots digitzer which limits you to a small 8" turntable...