View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Structo dumptruck conversion

Yep, i thought this beat up tandem axle looked coolest of what that antique shop had, and even if I couldn't stick with tandems, it would give me spare wheels for a trailer, plus the bed was bigger and had a tailgate. It came down to either this or a red/yellow Tonka, and i'm pretty sure everyone has seen *that* conversion already. Didn't want "Hey, why does this build suck more that i remember?"

Then i figured out an axle donor, but couldn't find spare axles seperately and didn't want to buy a whole second truck to scrap just for 1.5 axles. Even if the diff matched up enough that i could figure out a pass-through, the rear axle mounting didn't really look like it would work upside down.

I originally was going to do a servo powered cable bed lift with 2:1 or 3:1 advantage, but chassis space got real tight once i had it driving. Winch drum at back of cab, pulley at rear frame, pulley on the lifting arm, dead end at the bed. But the driveshaft and my leaf mounts were pretty close in that area.

https://youtu.be/2R0stfMjJ7w
I don't know, these are 50 throw instead of 30. 100 ratio looks good and quick, but 200 ratio looks good and more powerful too.

I went beyond Cardboard Aided Design, and made a scrap wood actuator template. Then i remembered the motor housing and remade it to correct dimentions. In the stock holes, it'll lay frame, and can go a little past vertical.