View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PFB's Vario JD 850D

Braved the heat last night/this morning to some work on the dollies.

After some brain-storming with Izzy and Trav I used the RCP Crawlers TLT Straight Axle Adapters and cut off the ears. Cut down they offer the perfect spacing for the tire/wheel from the side plate of the dolly.

Cut up a washer for work holding and space for the drill

Had to turn the taper for the inside of the washer. (Zinc machines like sh*t) Here it is all mounted up to the dolly. A TLT axle fits inside and I'm using the tamiya brass bushings.

The 2.2 ZXLs I ordered are way too big. Might go with the 1.9s. (the 2.2s are just going to have to be used on a future build..... )

Spacing. I may take a bit more off the TLT adapter so it sits closer to the plate.

This has been a good project to learn the ways around my new Taig machines. That machining class definitely helped me troubleshoot obstacles in clamping and indicating parts for better precision. I've never used a rotary table or 4-jaw chuck before. It's time consuming to setup, but it's a great sense of accomplishment for me knowing how to quickly and easily set them up now. Time to let my ideas and drawings become real objects! Very excited.