View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RC modified Manitowoc 4100 tower crane

I see you found your way. Do you have any machining ability? This is what it will take to do some of the tiny modifications you need. The drums should be sort of easy and the way to do it is mount the motors inside of the drum so the whole motor case spins around the fixed output shaft of the motor. I'll post some pictures I have tomorrow that are on my work computer. It seems confusing but when you see how it's done it will be clear. The swing gear will take some doing because you'll need to mount a big gear on the carbody. I never looked at on of those cranes to see just how much room is there. Can you take some pictures looking down on the machinery works? I have some tiny gearmotors bookmarked on evilbay that may work. The control I'm sure your familiar with would use some small ESCs or hacked servos. The crawlers, I would have to see up close to figure out. Have you seen the TWH Bucyrus Shovel that's motorized? I saw the first proto type at the DHS show last year and I think those guys were checking out my way of control on my dragline. That model doesn't have a slip ring installed so it can't continuously rotate. $2500 I know with some patience this conversion can be done. Just time and some$$ and it will be an envy in the 1/50th world.